Spring Hunt

Packhorse

Spring Hunt

Postby Packhorse » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:52 pm

Had the day off today so was determined to get out for a hunt. After dragging myself out of bed I realised it had been raining...Nup still going. Had brekky, hung up some washing, got my kit together then headed out. I was onsite approx 7:40 n sweet nobody else here( I love mid week hunts)some showers were still going through so chucked enough layers on then headed off. Weather wasn't looking flash for snotting goats so was going for a explore mainly. Had a investigation of a new area, was seeing prints, seemed to be of one sized animal mainly. Was going to do the perimeter of the block to a point I'd come across on a earlier walk then decided ' nah bugger it I'll cut through here n go on the lookout for some goats. Image
I headed of to a known hangout and came across a couple of goats that had being shot in the last couple of weeks. It was a bit stink to see that nothing had be used of the animal though.
Headed down to where it was a bit more sheltered. Wind had being quite strong all morning with a few trees creaking and groaning so knew it was the place to go to.
Poke my head around the corner and 'bugger me it's a deer'. It was a young stag sunning itself. Whip the rifle to shoulder and the thought is going through my mind 'shit it's got buttons and no spikes...' I put the scope on its ears n 'OK ..no tag/tags ..sweet'.
The stag is just looking at me wondering what the hell I am so I put the rifle down, take out phone n take a couple of photos. Lift rifle back up to shoulder, staggy is getting a bit agitated by this time so I squeeze the trigger to finish the standoff. Went down pole axed with a neck shot.
Dragged staggy into cover so I could commence break down n retrieval part of the exercise. The back straps, one back leg and fillet steaks went into the pikau, front shoulders came off still attached to the skin so they could be carried pack saddle style and the last back leg came of whole. I started the walk back...it was gonna be a bit of a trudge actually...I'm not as fit as I should be... After a couple of stops and readjustments I managed to get my harvest back to my vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Re: Spring Hunt

Postby Scribe » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:31 am

Well done 'Packhorse' A nice conditioned young animal that looks like it has spent some time on a deer farm (those buttons) but he is yours fair and square. A clean kill too so the venison should be the best. I am envious cause our venison supply for the first time in forty five years has fallen to less than was desirable. I have plans to rectify that this year hopefully.

Just had another look at those buttons (possibly never cut) I have shot a lot like that in the mountains but that country of yours grows good antlers.
0 x

Carpe Diem

Postby Carpe Diem » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:47 pm

Good on ya fella !!! Nice work and a payoff for a good day in the bush.

If the goat spot is up by the track split there's been someone in there snotting them regularly as I was in there a month a go and stumbled over 6 just left to rot also. wonder if its some young locals just going in for a smash session..

If its where I think it is there's a blimmin big huge red possible wap cross stag (had a quite big cream bum patch ) in there too that I got very close to him following his huge tracks with dew claws before getting rumbled and him bashing through the undergrowth 20m away, down through the gut and gone!! Bugger!!

Well done that man ...No 300? you run out of all that ammo I gave ya?
1 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:01 pm

A bit of a follow up to this saga. Went out today for a stroll and came across last years deer. Had a fossick through and found this....
Image the spent projectile and the neck bone it hit...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x

Return to “Deer Hunting”