After work hunt

Packhorse

After work hunt

Postby Packhorse » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:04 pm

Teed it up with a mate to go for a look see on a block I've got access to after work. I started early to so I could finish and get out to the block while there was a bit of light. Mate rings up in arvo n says 'nah bro can't make it I've got too much stuff to get squared away before the truck comes on Thursday morning (him and family are moving to Harihari) so I'll have to give it a miss'....'sweet as bro you've gotta do what's right for ya...' I thought 'fuck it I've already teed it up to go I'll go for a look anyway'...so I did. Someone had lit some slash on a cutover block downwind of where I'd be hunting n thought 'sweet that'll cover up my scent a wee bit'..and gave me a good indication of wind direction too. I made my way into the block which consists of pastureland with scrub gorse mixed in amongst it plus a planted area with some scrubby scruffy edges. As I was walking there I spotted some movement ...deer!! I snuck down to some cover behind a rock n put my scope on it. It had ducked out of sight behind a ridge so I waited a wee bit. It wasn't before it popped back up moving back down the ridge reasonably quickly. I had it lined up through my scope sussing it out. It stopped n seemed to look directly at me then took off. I have to suspect it had spotted me as I was walking there n it knew exactly what I was and that I was up to no good. No worries I wasn't going to take the shot anyway as it was out of my comfort zone. I moved along a wee bit and had a quick squizz at some more open areas...nothing doing. I retraced my steps a wee bit and ducked down through a bit of cover leading to a planted area where I know there are some scrapes. On my way down I noticed a gorse bush that had being given arseholes by a buck ..or two.
As I made my way down through the scrub something moved out of a little gut up onto a ledge n stood looking in my direction no more than 30 metres away. By this stage I had my rifle up bolt down and eye locked on it through the scope. Deer !! And a buck at that!! I stabbed/jerked/pulled/squeezed/snatched the trigger. Bang/boom(insert appropriate sound of a .223 being fired) and deer fell over. I scuttled down to see the result. It was down but not quite out so I whipped my knife n slid it in under the shoulder with the intention of stabbing the heart n getting it to bleed out internally. I went to get out my phone n take a photo and....shit I've left it on the bike....along with my headlight...oh well I'll get the buck out n take a photo of it back at the bike. By this stage I'm going shit this animal is heavier than it looks....I bowl the guts n offal out n try to set it up into a pack...fuck I can't even get it up...mmm im going to have to change my forum name from packhorse to hopeless packhorse or useless ooppsy or something like that. Fuck it I'm gonna cheat. I take the head off and carry that and rifle up out into the open and went back for the carcass..jeeezzz the ring gear was hanging out the n the ole heart was going for gold ....fuck I'm soft...thought I was gonna die there for a bit...fuck it. I leave the shoulders attached to the skin, skin the ribs n neck off, put the knife through the backbone in doing that cut a big hole in the skin on the back...fuck fuck fuck I wanted that skin intact ...(it was getting pretty dark by now). Slung it on my back and staggered my way up the slope. I made it up to the head and rifle. I had the intention of carrying everything out in one hit....yeah nah fail.... I leave the rifle n head by a rock n carry what's left off the carcass out to the bike then head back n pick up ribs head n rifle(I hate wasting meat...)
After looking at jaw I feel a bit stink now as it was just a young one n dam near a carbon copy of one I'd shot about four years ago in the same area. Oh well that means big boy is still out there....means I'm going to have to get a bit better at carrying if I want to get him out.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x

Neckshot

Re: After work hunt

Postby Neckshot » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:41 am

Big all right Packhorse. .........nice yarn to, but do we have to re name you?........ :P......

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:18 pm

Neckshot wrote:Big all right Packhorse. .........nice yarn to, but do we have to re name you?........ :P......

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

In the cold light of day ...most probably not...when I was trying to hoist it on my back my ring gear hanging out, sweat pissing out of me n my heart racing fit to burst...the thought crossed my mind....
0 x

Happy
Site Admin

Postby Happy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:35 pm

Wicked good work. Tell your mate who's going to Hari Hari to look out for Garth Maisey a good mate of mine who lives at Whataroa. Mad keen hunter him and his boys

His missus works in Hari Hari at the one and only beauty salon there I think
Three boys all at school there
0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:27 pm

Happy wrote:Wicked good work. Tell your mate who's going to Hari Hari to look out for Garth Maisey a good mate of mine who lives at Whataroa. Mad keen hunter him and his boys

His missus works in Hari Hari at the one and only beauty salon there I think
Three boys all at school there

I'll let him know.
0 x

Rushy
Site Admin
Location: Halfway up a hill on the true right of the Kaipara River

Postby Rushy » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:52 am

Well done Packhorse.
0 x

Carpe Diem

Postby Carpe Diem » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:18 am

Well done fella - Nice to see you get amongst it. Some times a solo hunt can bring better rewards... but of course there's more to carry anda lack of Sub's on the bench LOL.

And after work as well - nice work. Craig and I are still trying to get into a couple of those local bush spots too that are good holders close to you, we are still to organize it a weekend when the owners are around as last time he farm managers wife when we called in was a little antsy about letting us on - but we didn't want to make an issue of it so deferred til another time...

Maybe we can get this forum hunt sorted with a venue and we can all catch up for a dram and a yarn or two...

Cheers P.
0 x

Rushy
Site Admin
Location: Halfway up a hill on the true right of the Kaipara River

Postby Rushy » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:42 pm

CD is that two drams and a yarn or two yarns and a dram?
0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:30 pm

Rushy wrote:CD is that two drams and a yarn or two yarns and a dram?

Don't matter does it Rushy... I think it still equates to drink piss n talk shit...
0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:33 pm

As a little side note to this yarn mate n I shot a buck on the same date a year ago...that time I managed to carry it out whole but it only had one antler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x

Return to “Deer Hunting”