2018 Season

Woody

2018 Season

Postby Woody » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:23 am

Only a month away now. Had a major issue to sort with access to my peg. I had been going through the same farm for over 10 years and two owners, but last June the farm again changed hands. The new farmers wifey is totally anti bird hunting and flatly refused access through. No matter that I had spent thousands of man hours and dollars in restoring a willow and blackberry choked wetland. The male farmer suggested last June that I re-approach him nearer to this season so I did, and went again cap in hand to see him last week. Pussy whipped fellow said he did not want to upset her so the answer was still no.

I went to the next door farm and thankfully this chap gave me the Ok. New track cutting was required but several wasp stings, blackberry rips and buckets of sweat later, my new access track is made in order I can get Canadian canoe and gear down to the stream to a position from which I can paddle upstream a ways to my peg. I don't use a maimai, but stand in the cover in chest waders and keep a low profile. Most hunters wont go to this level of difficulty but I've found it pays dividents because I 'm never above the level of the surrounding cover.

Job done on Sunday, so all pegged up and ready to go ! Water level is higher than usual but lots of birds present with promise of a good opening.
20170506_095725 compressed.jpg
Pic from last season. Old dog and young dog.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Packhorse

Re: 2018 Season

Postby Packhorse » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:01 pm

Sounds like a bit of work n effort going on there. I’m bit of a lazy fella when I comes to the ducks. At the pond on time (usually) n hardly even use decoys. For the amount ( or lack of) work I do it’s still a useful couple of hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x

Woody

Postby Woody » Sun May 06, 2018 9:25 am

Well, as expected, the opening at Reporoa was quite slow. I did see a lot of mobs high and heading East, but still managed a half dozen birds for the day. The highlight though, for me, was some really top class retrieves from heavy flooded willow with blackberry, carex and convolvulus understory by me dogs, especially my young dog. (GWP) My old dog is 12 now and after a few hours was shivering quite badly so I took him out to the smoko tarp where my wife Ann could dry and look after him. Young dog showed no ill effects and worked really well all day. Gave it a miss this morning but wil go back up in the canoe for an evening shot. Will probably leave the area alone for a fortnight and then go back. Meantime I will look for some pheasant in the forests. Hope others have had an enjoyable time as I did.
0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Sun May 06, 2018 8:11 pm

Had a enjoyable time but I’m a suck wing shooter....back to my normal standard of nothing for opening morning. I surprised myself last year with seven but the previous seven years not got one so it balances out I reckon..

0 x

Justsittinbac

Postby Justsittinbac » Tue May 08, 2018 3:20 pm

Had a good opening with good dogs and mates in the Reporoa area. Shot our limits which was 4 birds by 10.00 am, what to do for the rest of the day. Shot a few swan and Quail as well, plenty of birds flying around due to a good wet breeding season. Parries were flying high and didn't want to land in the area we were shooting, maybe the pond was too closed in for them as they usually like the open spaces more. Great to see the dogs have a good work out, keen Labs all round, bring on next weekend.
0 x

Happy
Site Admin

Postby Happy » Wed May 09, 2018 11:40 am

In ,Matamata not too far from base of kaimais. Very slow two days with only a couple of shots available...

I think the three ponds need some serious tree work. All too high I reckon and too much shade.
You feel the temp drop as you walk in .

2nd year of fuck all. Well and truly not worth the licence fee.

Cleaned out the Pukes a little so some good was done at least..
0 x

Woody

Postby Woody » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:27 pm

Got a half dozen canadas on a couple of evenings but ducks flying too high after opening week. Still have my decoys and canoe down there so need to visit the creek soon to retrieve all my gear. Been having a wee look around the forest for upland game but the very wet weather is keeping the birds back in the big trees. I am hoping things will improve when we get some clear dry weather later in the season.
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:35 am

A couple of weeks ago headed up to Te Mata Forest to help Forest owners do trap lines. First day went for a walk with shotgun and dog and shot 3 wonderful cock pheasants, Second day mate does a bit of a walk with the dog and gets three great pheasants so we are pleased.
Trap lines are interesting though, since 1080 drops on three boundaries of Te Mata Forest by Doc in October 2018.
Late autumn trapline check shows an approx increase in the rat population of roughly 40% since the 1080 drop which indicates the well known rat boom after poisoning.
This last trapline check shows around a 25% trapline increase rats since October. A decrease on the autumn numbers. Which is normal with the wet and cold weather taking a toll.
The hard figures will be available when all the data is examine and calculated. DoC often claims the loss in the winter of fur bearing animals as a sure sign of success of their winter poisoning programs but it is just natural attrition.
0 x

Woody

Postby Woody » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:38 pm

Found confirmation the other day by Kiore bones found under Taupo eruption ash and associated with very old moa mud traps that human and rat populations were in NZ over 2000 years ago. So Mr rat has been here a very long time and certainly did'nt affect the "deafening birdsong" heard by early explorers even though being present for milleniums.

Also amusing is DoC and Co' trying to get pigs out of northland due to potential to spread kauri dieback. Never mind that the pigs were introduced by Cook in the 1700's and probably kunikuni been here even longer; with no kauri dieback for over 300 years ffs! They're full of shit, as per usual. Hope the northland maoris don't get sucked iun by this latest lot of crap; although I've no doubt the greens in jaffaland and elsewhere will swallow it hook line and sinker.

Look up YouTube hidden NZ history pt 2 and have a listen to how government has been suppressing the truths.
0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:26 pm

No surprises there...guvinment.. been suppressing shit for years...it just a matter of working out what...

0 x

Return to “Gamebird Hunting”