Interesting opening....

Packhorse

Interesting opening....

Postby Packhorse » Sat May 07, 2016 7:47 pm

Needless to say I am rather consistent with my duck shooting.....zero ducks each year for 6-7 years now. For all of that the morning went pretty well. Started at 5:00 with moving mobs of cattle, I had to get at least four done prior to going to the dam otherwise I'd run out of time and not make it to town to watch my niece and daughter play netball(both in opposing teams). On the way to mobs three n four I came across a cat on the lane. I stopped to try n get it ...three shots later no dice and I wished up n snuck off. Get next two mobs done then off to the dam.
I parked the bike underneath some overhanging willow on the lane n tie the dog up then headed off. I realised I had my spotlight in my jacket pocket so took it out n left it by the gate. As I was heading up I saw some parries off to one side just above the dam. I checked the time n was just on 6:30. I decided to wait until it was then shoot as the ducks flew off so I got a couple of more rounds ready. It was time!! The parries took off. I had a go at them then the pond ducks flew off. Quick reload n still miss. I was on form ...;-(. Cruise up my tree n take cover. The action was pretty good considering I had no decoys and only had a caller for a season. Ducks kept on coming in n I kept on not getting them. Some would come in that quick I'd leave them n use them as live decoy.... A mob of hinds had been watching the proceedings when they all spooked. That was bit weird I thought then realised why....two fellas(father/son)had popped up over the dam wall to jump the pond!! Oi !! I yelled out. "What are you doing here" they said "What are YOU doing here" I shot back" this is MY possie !!" "Oh ...ahh well ...how's it going..." "Pretty good up till now"' i reply "Oh ...is that your bike down there..?" "Yeah I work here..." "ahh we'll get going then" "Yup that'd be good". Just to rub salt into wound as they bugger off there's ducks circling around...never to be enticed in....not happy. What gets me they saw a bike, with a dog tied up and a spotlight left by the gate they would of had to walk through to get to the pond ....and they STILL came up!?!
https://vimeo.com/165669537
My time was nearly up so I took off do do my last two mobs of cattle. In approaching my last mob I saw these dudes car parked up n knew they were checking out another pond. Sweet as I know where they are n they'll see me/hear me. As I went to get the mob the dudes had started walking up the hill to the car. I opened the gate for the cattle to let them go. As I was short a couple of pig tails for there next break fence I shot down and grabbed some from there previous break fence. The cattle had run up then around n back down to the bottom of the paddock they were going through. No dramas went went the dog n bought them back up the hill towards the gate they were suppose to be going through. Boom boom!! "Fucking hell what are ya doing " I yell out. Not impressed i tell ya. (The shots were fired in safe direction away from the cattle) By the time I sorted the cattle out they'd buggered off which was good cos I didn't really fancy talking to them after that sort of carry on. I did mention it the farm owner as I thought it was a bit inconsiderate...after all this IS a working farm. So ducks 0 cats 0 and a interesting experience ....8-)
0 x

Rushy
Site Admin
Location: Halfway up a hill on the true right of the Kaipara River

Re: Interesting opening....

Postby Rushy » Sun May 08, 2016 5:57 am

Bloody hell Packhorse, you sound to be as good a shotgunner as I am. We're the father son combo just a couple of random trespassers or were they known to you.
0 x

Packhorse

Re: Interesting opening....

Postby Packhorse » Sun May 08, 2016 6:52 am

They were allowed to shoot on farm Rushy but my understanding was they had a pond n stayed there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x

Return to “Gamebird Hunting”