Guide rangi 2

Packhorse

Guide rangi 2

Postby Packhorse » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:28 pm

Went out on another little adventure this afternoon. Oldest boy rang up neighbours to see if we could have a crack at some goats but got the DCM for that but was told that turkey population still needed thinning out so game on. Headed on out through the neighbours farm with the young fella being guide rangi in front on his bike n me trundling behind. Spot a hare on other side of fence on a face. Stopped n turned quad off n settled down using the seat as a rest. Hadn't fired the Marlin in a while but was comfortable it was still on . Lined up n squeeze...Crack n thud hare is struck....not quite mortally...,it takes off but within 10 metres starts to tumble n cartwheel then comes to a stop. Awesome its actually come closer to me. Wander over cross the fence n pick it up n back to quad n head off again.

Meet young fella heading back to me wondering where the hell I am. Head on up the track for a bit then onto dairy farm race. He comes to a stop n points out a mob of turkeys feeding on some maize that had being fed out. Hand him the shortie will a couple of shells....'head over a bit closer check your background then line up n let rip' I follow behind with some more shells. Boom boom one hit not quite fatally though Load him up he has a chase lets rip at one no joy then shoots the injured one. He retrieves the bird n I set him up for a photo.
After a couple of small stalks which resulted in no birds cos they flew we headed off n dumped the bird I had(already breasted it) n started to head back home. On the way we spotted the mob again n gave chase. They flew off the plateau we were on n down to the river below. We head down after them n spot a couple of bodies all camoed up. We head over to say gidday . I know the guy n comes up with a excuse for why he's there .....,hmmmm ok it's not for to say if he should or shouldn't be there but the timing of the day wasn't really matching up with story being told;-) with what I knew was in the vicinity. Anyway I was here to shoot turkeys n could hear gobbling away in the back ground. They were up in some old man pine so young fella lines up boom boom n have two turkeys plummeting to the ground. We walk up to another old man pine n spot another one. 'Line up on its head' I say n see what happens. Boom n another one take the plunge. We scuttle down the bank to do a retrieve n see if there's anymore. Nah they're onto it now so do the photo shootImage n breasting mission n outa there. Fun times...enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x

Rushy
Site Admin
Location: Halfway up a hill on the true right of the Kaipara River

Re: Guide rangi 2

Postby Rushy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:46 pm

Good on you Packhorse. The boy will be happy
0 x

dynastar27

Postby dynastar27 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:32 am

awesome read Packhorse

need to take the ar to my farther in laws and thin out the peacock population down there haha
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:14 am

They are a game bird Dynaster. Rules and Regulations prevail.
0 x

dynastar27

Postby dynastar27 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:50 pm

ah man better leave them alone then
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:52 pm

dynastar27 wrote:ah man better leave them alone then

No don't give up hunting them. They are schedule 3 game birds. They used to have partial protection once upon a time.

I don't know what if any protection they might have now. I just thought shooting them with your AR15 may be illegal and you could get it confiscated.
0 x

Rushy
Site Admin
Location: Halfway up a hill on the true right of the Kaipara River

Postby Rushy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:09 pm

The thought of you chasing Pea fowl with an AR reminds me how much you haven't changed since you were six Dynastar
0 x

Return to “Small Game and Varmint Hunting”