Our Bees

Scribe
Site Admin

Our Bees

Postby Scribe » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:10 pm

I put this thread in small game and varmints because that is how our Regional Councils, Ospri and DoC treat them.
Shortly after this article appeared in the paper I got a ring from the President of the Bee Keepers Association and he asked me if I had any proof of what I had said. I showed him the proof and blow me down if he didn't confide in me that a Beekeeper from Coromandel had complained to him that his honeycomb was stained green from the dye in the recent 1080 drop his bees had been through.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Re: Our Bees

Postby Scribe » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:28 pm

Sorry about the quality. Visitors... I will try again later

Hauraki Herald 8/5/2013

DOES ANYONE CARE FOR OUR OWN BEES
For without them we are lost...........Headlines EU bans bee killing pesticides.
The EU has just placed a 2 year ban on bee-killing pesticides.(1080 is a broad spectrum pesticide-insecticide and it is fatal to bees and other insects) (Meads) In 2008 we monitored and filmed the aftermath of the aerial 1080 in the Kauaeranga River. We noted that the poisoned pellets were not only present in the Kauaeranga River in quantity but had been sown right across a significant number of bee hives in the area. These cereal baits are made up of approximately 20% sugar so they were literally crawling with bees. This careless broadcasting of a deadly poison wrapped in an attractive food is an unsavoury practice in more was than one.

Penny Fisher( Landcare Research) in a paper notes that in Dec 2002 Jan 2003 three honeycomb samples tested from the Taumaranui area after the Tongariro aerial Drop tested positive for 1080 residue. This is a dangerous practice and a sure way of destroying our export base when this poison is found in our products.

One of our organic bee keepers on the northern tip of the Coromandel is faced with an immense problem from the 1080 drop due this month. What does he do with his five hundred hives? if any of his hives are within three kilometres of a 1080 drop his honey does not meet the organic qualities required for importation into many countries.

Not only is this a logistical nightmare but his bees will probably go hungry because there are just not many good places left on the Coromandel for bees Many of the wild hives in our forest will not survive this attack on them by the Department Of Conservation.

Graeme and Julie Sturgeon
Whakatete Bay
0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:49 pm

Wipe out the bees, wipe out the people..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x

Carpe Diem

Postby Carpe Diem » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:55 am

I would have thought that this would need to be a notifiable, and launch a requirement for a mitigation strategy in regard to the resource consent impact as well as public safety aspects on behalf of the applicants for the drop approvals?

Surely also a economic impact for the beekepers. What do they need to do? mass transport their hives away from the drop zones as a result I guess.

Would have thought given the growth of the market in recent years this would be picked up by mainstream press.
0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:01 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:I would have thought that this would need to be a notifiable, and launch a requirement for a mitigation strategy in regard to the resource consent impact as well as public safety aspects on behalf of the applicants for the drop approvals?

Surely also a economic impact for the beekepers. What do they need to do? mass transport their hives away from the drop zones as a result I guess.

Would have thought given the growth of the market in recent years this would be picked up by mainstream press.

Problem is mainstream press don't care..or told not to care ..

0 x

Happy
Site Admin

Postby Happy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:39 am

Folks have no idea at all of whats actually going on.
Two residents on our Coromandel Road wrote a 16 page report as to why we should not gain a resource consent to remove our 70 acres of pine trees.

Comments like the following

Dust will come off the trucks.
(My answer : Its a gravel Road its dusty as fuck when normal traffic goes through. Bad luck you going to ban all traffic? )

My children may get run over by forestry truck.
(My answer : Control your kids take responsibility for them they ll get run over by something for sure during your afternoon sleep if you don't)

We don't like the noise
(My answer : its a public road. Tractors use it daily gonna ban them as well)

We like the pine trees
(My answer : Or do you like the fact youve been planting dope in them for the last quite a few years)

Final comment was. You guys are so lucky. Guess what Pines are coming out full stop.
Guess what the harvesters hate us cos its not happening again..
Guess what its going to be planted in Manuka (A Coromandel flavour) and it wont be
getting harvested again. EVER.. Guess what its our plan to turn the tidal flats into a
Native area to attract and nurture native birds...

These folks get up us but do they get involved in the real issues like the 1080 shit above ..
To hard yet they can sit on their fat asses and create 16 pages of pure bullshit like the above..

Too much spare time ... Self imposed isolation after their men go to work.. got nothing better to do.

Funny as ... :lol: :o
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:36 pm

0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:07 pm

Happy wrote:Folks have no idea at all of whats actually going on.
Two residents on our Coromandel Road wrote a 16 page report as to why we should not gain a resource consent to remove our 70 acres of pine trees.

Comments like the following

Dust will come off the trucks.
(My answer : Its a gravel Road its dusty as fuck when normal traffic goes through. Bad luck you going to ban all traffic? )

My children may get run over by forestry truck.
(My answer : Control your kids take responsibility for them they ll get run over by something for sure during your afternoon sleep if you don't)

We don't like the noise
(My answer : its a public road. Tractors use it daily gonna ban them as well)

We like the pine trees
(My answer : Or do you like the fact youve been planting dope in them for the last quite a few years)

Final comment was. You guys are so lucky. Guess what Pines are coming out full stop.
Guess what the harvesters hate us cos its not happening again..
Guess what its going to be planted in Manuka (A Coromandel flavour) and it wont be
getting harvested again. EVER.. Guess what its our plan to turn the tidal flats into a
Native area to attract and nurture native birds...

These folks get up us but do they get involved in the real issues like the 1080 shit above ..
To hard yet they can sit on their fat asses and create 16 pages of pure bullshit like the above..

Too much spare time ... Self imposed isolation after their men go to work.. got nothing better to do.

Funny as ... :lol: :o

You need a resource consent to drop your own trees.... Fuck go hard with a saw I say..

0 x

Return to “Small Game and Varmint Hunting”