Another Anniversary Hunt

Packhorse

Another Anniversary Hunt

Postby Packhorse » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:46 pm

Wife was supposed to organise today's outing. She hadn't so I said 'were off for a hunt you can sort out dinner'. Headed off to a local spot hoping for a chance to blood the new rifle. God chance of getting a goat with deer being a possibility (they do have a reputation for being ghosts in this block). Headed out along a main thoroughfare a area seemed like worth a stop and a look. Heading down a wee spur with plenty of clear area around us. Looked back at my wife she indicated that she'd heard something. With a bit of sign language she gave a direction, one for a goat/goats which was reasonably close and one for a maybe roar which was a fair distance away. I could hear something but wasn't very distinct for me. As we were waiting I saw some movement below me. Black/brown...goat. I moved down to conceal myself n set myself up for a shot. Looking looking then it popped up about 10-15 metres in front of me.... Rifle up, sight on shoulder, squeeze trigger bang. Goat stood for a sec then just flopped over. It had been dead on its feet.

Do the photo thing then wip the back legs n back steaks off.

We head of to a spot that I wanted to have lunch. On our way there it spot another goat. Do a bit of a sneak up and look through scope to get a shooting lane. There was a bit of supple jack in the way. Find a sweet spot n let rip. ....miss...goat takes off, no obvious blood on it n freely moving. We keep walking, park up and have some lunch. We have our repast then head off to check out a new area. Walking through a grassy area we hear a 'thud' look at each other thinking 'WTF' looking around I spot some movement ...oh a goat...two billies playing silly buggers. I decide to grab some video footage using the phone. I move around to a better spot to get into the shade line. I see some more goats then decide to shoot another one. Line up Bang head shot then a heap more goats pop out of the woodwork. I get a fleeting glimpse of one with a reasonable head the same colour of one I'd seen on a previous trip. Oh well you'll keep.
I'd shot it in the head but unfortunately a bit low down. A quick knife cut sorts that out.
Four wheels n two more backsteaks for a curry...sweet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 x

Rushy
Site Admin
Location: Halfway up a hill on the true right of the Kaipara River

Re: Another Anniversary Hunt

Postby Rushy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:39 pm

Good stuff
0 x

Gapped Axe

Postby Gapped Axe » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:30 pm

wat he said
0 x

Carpe Diem

Postby Carpe Diem » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:37 pm

Nicely Done Craig - They are good eaters in there eh!
Whats the flavour of the new rifle?

Looks quite similar to my 300BLK! but Green, So I'm thinking a Predator rather than a Ranch version.

Nice to see a few still using my old patch - did you know 7mmwsm's farm backs onto this? - almost felt like a day trip down there again as the wheels fell of Happy, 30 cals and My Fallow hunt down the Wanganui.

Drop us a text sometime.

P.
0 x

Packhorse

Another Anniversary Hunt

Postby Packhorse » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:55 pm

Cheers CD. Yes it's a Predator wearing a 2-7 x 33 Loopy for glasses n a Sonic for the muffler. Need to add something to the stock to stop it sounding hollow though other than that so far I like it. Still pondering the Ruger in 300 BLK though....8/)

0 x

Carpe Diem

Postby Carpe Diem » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:33 pm

Ha ha the fix for the stock bongo is builders expanding foam via the rear recoil pad. Job done.

At the same time put some of Nathan's stock stabiliser in the fore end will stop it squeezing up and touching the barrel and changing the poi accordingly.

There's a good Ruger fix on the forums out there for the accu-trigger too that I did to the 300 to lighten and take any creep you might have out ( mine was a bit gritty to start). I've dropped mine back to under 2lbs to be in line with my other rifles and now breaks pretty good.

Even happy said the only thing it needs is a stock market upgrade to a Grs or similar - so I take that as a win. But to me it's ideal as a bush length rifle getting thru the bush and for a couple of hundy less than a grand.
0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:22 pm

I'll try that n I'll give you a yodel for a outing in May/June maybe..? I can do a Thursday/Friday easy enough

0 x

Carpe Diem

Postby Carpe Diem » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:29 pm

Sounds superb!!

Cheers PD.
0 x

Return to “Goat Hunting”