Bowhunting and Fishing In Northern Australia

Scribe
Site Admin

Re: Bowhunting and Fishing In Northern Australia

Postby Scribe » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:14 am

The crossing on the way to the Station in the dry then the wet.

I am checking the crossing in the photo to see that it hasn't washed out and keeping a bloody good lookout for Croc's and water snakes which I could never abide.
0 x

Gapped Axe

Postby Gapped Axe » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:39 am

where is the station? I would like to look it up. One day I would like to go for a Buff/ scrub bull/Banteg hunt. I have a cousin who had a bridge building business in NT, and he told some wonderful stories. He would hopefully still have some contacts.
0 x

veitnamcam

Postby veitnamcam » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:51 am

Great pictures scribe.
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:14 am

Gapped Axe wrote:where is the station? I would like to look it up. One day I would like to go for a Buff/ scrub bull/Banteg hunt. I have a cousin who had a bridge building business in NT, and he told some wonderful stories. He would hopefully still have some contacts.

It Is called Woolner Station and is about 80 miles SE of Darwin. One boundary was the eastern side of the Adelaide River and the back boundary was the Arafura Sea. I see on the back of the Photo's that it was 86 when the photo was taken.

Then there were buffalo everywhere, we even mustered and shot for pet meat, buff behind the Darwin Hospital. Most anywhere out of the city you would see buff near the road. I don't know whether I would have any contacts now. Old Joe Groves would be dead now and I don't know who would own the Station. Most Of the other Stations we had anything to do with, it was with the Managers. Even the pet meater's I cruised around with and helped would be gone now. A huge part of the population up there are Kiwis especially among the safari operators, bullcatchers, musterer's. Helicopter Pilots, Pet meater's

If I put my mind to it I may be able to think up some contacts, hopefully the bridge builder friend may have some. My Wife has been saying lately she would love to go back to Darwin for a good look around again. Perhaps we should organise a Forum Hunt there GA. Book the whole plane out and just the two of us would turn up.

There are Rusa out on the Coburg Peninsula.
0 x

Gapped Axe

Postby Gapped Axe » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:17 pm

I have a friend who has his own Lear jet i'll ask him. lol. One of my bucket list of things to do. I see Madjohn is over there looking around.
0 x

Rushy
Site Admin
Location: Halfway up a hill on the true right of the Kaipara River

Postby Rushy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:11 pm

GA watch the Crocodile Dundee movie and practice the double pointed hand wave and the buffalo will just fall at your feet.
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:56 pm

Rushy wrote:GA watch the Crocodile Dundee movie and practice the double pointed hand wave and the buffalo will just fall at your feet.

As Rushy pointed out you are right in Dundee country you don't need the double pointed had wave to knock a buff down. On the way out to the station you pass the one and only Humpty Doo pub. Humpty Doo is famous for stone age man and the most drunken buffalo of the north. The buffalo will follow you into the bar and a few blokes will throw in a couple of dollars and buy a half dozen stubbies and whip the top off them and leave them lined up on the table. The buff just places its mouth over the stubby and tilts its head back and swallow the contents. When it has finished all the booze on offer it wanders out and collapses in the nearest piece of shade ready to do it all again when the next punter rolls in.
0 x

Rushy
Site Admin
Location: Halfway up a hill on the true right of the Kaipara River

Postby Rushy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:03 pm

That sounds like a hoot Scribe.
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:15 am

Scribe wrote:Image

The crossing on the way to the Station in the dry then the wet.

I am checking the crossing in the photo to see that it hasn't washed out and keeping a bloody good lookout for Croc's and water snakes which I could never abide.

What I liked about the Northern territory was 'It is a land of extremes. " "One day I would drop down and fly up a billibong and put up 100,000 ducks. The sky would be so black with the buggers you would be flying in the shade for a few minutes"

One morning we woke up and the Magpie Geese had arrived from all over the Pacific, In a couple of days they had nested and we had goose nests in some places almost side by side on the flood plains over thousands of square miles of country.
Mad bastards would fly up into the rotor blades.

The Culvert in the dry picture above was amazing in the early days of the wet. As the little stream started to run again zillions of little fish 1..2 inches long started to make their run in from the sea. When they got to the culvert they had to jump half a metre up into the pipe. When I first saw this incredible display of nature, the stream of fish was about 100 mils in diameter squirting up into the pipe. A solid stream of fish that continued for day and night for about 3 weeks until the floods came. Within a week the stream of fish had increased to 250 mils and it was mind boggling to try to estimate the numbers of fish that passed every minute.

My two young daughters sat in the water blocking the pipe but the call of nature was strong and the stream of fish continued to leap hitting the children in a silvery cascade and falling back before joining the mass movement for another attempt.
0 x

veitnamcam

Postby veitnamcam » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:30 pm

Those events would be fantastic to see scribe. 8-)
0 x

Return to “Bow Hunting”