So I will have this massive Beefie skin. What next ?

Happy
Site Admin

So I will have this massive Beefie skin. What next ?

Postby Happy » Tue May 17, 2016 7:22 pm

Have had some reds and fallow done but this is too big for the guys I have used previously
Got a few beefies going to works tomorrow. One has an awesome skin like a big red Tiger, that they are going to remove carefully and chill it so I can collect Thursday. Will it be ok if I freeze it while looking for a place to tan it? I m in Waikato if anyone can suggest a place to talk to about it. Cheers Happy
0 x

Packhorse

Re: So I will have this massive Beefie skin. What next ?

Postby Packhorse » Tue May 17, 2016 9:45 pm

Should be OK to keep it frozen for a bit 'Happy'. Can't help you with tanning it though. Wanganui used to have a tanning operation n I think Napier does too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x

kaitieke1

Postby kaitieke1 » Wed May 18, 2016 6:40 am

There is a guy in Taupo doing tanning, just see the guys in hunting and fishing there and they will put you on to him, if you come to a dead end give me a shout and I'll get his name and number for you, I have seen some skins that he has tanned and they look pretty good if your into that sort of thing.
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Wed May 18, 2016 7:52 am

kaitieke1 wrote:There is a guy in Taupo doing tanning, just see the guys in hunting and fishing there and they will put you on to him, if you come to a dead end give me a shout and I'll get his name and number for you, I have seen some skins that he has tanned and they look pretty good if your into that sort of thing.

How did your hunting trip into the Urewera's go Greg??
0 x

kaitieke1

Postby kaitieke1 » Wed May 18, 2016 12:09 pm

Bloody good trip
Only got one pig but it was a good one 180 pounds. Bugger all pork around that area. I can't ever recall seeing so many deer, they were litteraly ever where you looked, I'm going to fly into the park again at the start of next month for another stint, I've had a good tip off from some deer stalkers about a likely spot so I'll buzz in there for a week, going to take my two young fellas with me this time it'll be there first fly in trip so they are really looking forward to it. It's funny when you think about it,fly all the way into the park for one pig, come home and go out for a couple of day hunts and catch 9 . End of the day those fly in trips are bloody good fun tho
0 x

Happy
Site Admin

Postby Happy » Fri May 27, 2016 3:34 pm

It urned up in half of a plastic 200 litre drum. Two man lift heavy as flip.. Five hours later after trimming some 50 kgs of fat off (I kid you not)
it ended up this size rolled and wrapped and residing in my freezer for next week or two.

Just managed to roll it off the ute into the freezer but I,m pretty weak .... :D

The 5 2 year old beefies averaged 600 and 650 something kgs on the hooks ... Pay dirt for all the hay feeding during rain and storms for sure...

IMG_1866.JPG

I reckon we ll send it to a place in Napier for the tanning job in next couple of weeks .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Fri May 27, 2016 8:10 pm

That should turn out great 'Happy'. I am still waiting to shoot mine.
0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Fri May 27, 2016 9:58 pm

Scribe wrote:That should turn out great 'Happy'. I am still waiting to shoot mine.

The mad man eating coromandel bull ....I'm waiting for the story too...[THUMBS UP SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x

Happy
Site Admin

Postby Happy » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:06 pm

So after quite a few months the folks at
Classic Sheepskins in Napier have done a fine job to end up here

Image-1.jpeg

From a weaner on our place to a massive big boy. This is almost a two man lift

Image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:44 pm

That is a very attractive skin' Happy'. I am envious. No sign of the wild bull that I was after for his skin.
0 x

Return to “Taxidermy”