Whitebaiting

Postby Scribe » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:31 pm

Heading out down river after work on whitebait stand. No bait running yet.Image
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Re: Whitebaiting

Postby Scribe » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:35 pm

Passing Dicko, one of our happy forum members.

0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:40 pm

The dogs are searching, what for they are not quite sure.
But something is going to catch it before long. Image
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:44 pm

Dicko's stand has survived the winter well, it just gets a tidy up.

Image,
0 x

Rushy
Site Admin
Location: Halfway up a hill on the true right of the Kaipara River

Postby Rushy » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:53 am

I could be tempted to give that White baiting a go this year Scribe. I am not kitted out but there is a likely looking elbow bend on the Kaipara River not far from here
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:05 am

Get kitted out 'Rushy' because the bait will run if your river is anything like our own in the next two three weeks.

Always wanted to have a go at the whitebaiting, but have never lived close to a good river.

I got taken out last year and over the four hours the bait ran we had a great catch so this year I am in, boots and all.

The Kaipara is a good river to fish. I have friends who fish it. All you need is a white board for your first trials. From what little I know about it is if you can find a bit of a back eddy to fish in, it holds your net open. But when the bait is running and the locals will tell you when that is about to happen and a good number of bait are coming over your white board its the place to put up your stand.

Then, the rules down here anyway tell you GPS your stand and register it with the Council. You can fish a vacant stand legally, the owners arnt there all the time. If you are out and about on the river a bit the locals are quite helpful when they realise you are a local.

When the bait is running its is about as exciting fishing as you will find anytime, anywhere 'Rushy'. As those fish start pouring over your whiteboard and you stealthily deploy your net you still don't know whether you have caught fish or not. Then you lift it and you see the football shape bulge in the bottom of the net of flashing silver and you think fucking 'YES' as you hold the net over the bucket an let a pound of white bait or sometimes two cascade into it.
0 x

hunter308

Postby hunter308 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:02 pm

I have not been whitebaiting since I was a young feller my dad was right into it until he died when I was 13 so have not done it since. Lately I have been thinking about getting myself a scoop net and having a crack at the whitebait along the aotea harbour channel by the entrance was down there yesterday having a fish as well as a joy ride in the new wagon and no luck in that department apart from one lot of bites with nothing latching on solidly.
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:09 pm

hunter308 wrote:I have not been whitebaiting since I was a young feller my dad was right into it until he died when I was 13 so have not done it since. Lately I have been thinking about getting myself a scoop net and having a crack at the whitebait along the aotea harbour channel by the entrance was down there yesterday having a fish as well as a joy ride in the new wagon and no luck in that department apart from one lot of bites with nothing latching on solidly.

This will be the first serious season white baiting for me. Really dont know how we will go for us, but at least we have a couple of guys on the river to show us the ropes.

The surf casting is pretty hit and miss at the moment. One day the fish will come on for a couple of hours and the next you wont get a bite all day.

The Commercial Flounder Men are out there working away, but they are a long way from my fishing grounds at the moment. We are watching them fairly closely because they are following the fish in and we will know before the first flushes of big fish come through.
0 x

Greenhill

Postby Greenhill » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:11 pm

I managed to get out the weekend after opening and managed a couple fritters . To be honest it was just bloody good to be on the river ! House is on the market at the moment so have been plastering and painting my arse off , hoping to get out this weekend .
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:32 am

Greenhill wrote:I managed to get out the weekend after opening and managed a couple fritters . To be honest it was just bloody good to be on the river ! House is on the market at the moment so have been plastering and painting my arse off , hoping to get out this weekend .

I have been painting and today the blocklayer was due to turn up. Just heard he is not coming so I am going whitebaiting.

Mate went up the river for a play and to check his possie and caught 9 pounds yesterday. He was mightily surprised as there has been no reports of any bait caught to date.

The bait are over a fortnight late this year. I will report back in tonight.
0 x

Return to “General Fishing”