Whitebaiting

How's the fishing in your area?
Sakokid

Re: Whitebaiting

Postby Sakokid » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:05 am

Not the kinda thing one would expect so far up that river that's for sure. This one time while walking across to twilight beach up not far from cape Reinga for a session of great rock fishing we came across a small creek thru the Manuka clad dunes which was very narrow, running thru it were heaps of mullet heading upstream, just like salmon in Alaska. Me and my mate bashed them with a stick and flicked them out onto the grass. Used them for bait. Another good trip it was.
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:13 pm

Sakokid wrote:Not the kinda thing one would expect so far up that river that's for sure. This one time while walking across to twilight beach up not far from cape Reinga for a session of great rock fishing we came across a small creek thru the Manuka clad dunes which was very narrow, running thru it were heaps of mullet heading upstream, just like salmon in Alaska. Me and my mate bashed them with a stick and flicked them out onto the grass. Used them for bait. Another good trip it was.

Yep you just cant tell what you are going to see some days SK. We were at the whitebait possie yesterday and I noticed the dog was keeping a good watch out in case a seal tried to sneak by us.
It reminds me of a little known incident in Vietnam. One of our companies had a sentry deployed out thirty metres in front of them. His job was to lay low and listen for enemy troops as your ears are better than anything else in the Jungle. When he was relieved he reported he had been involved in a close encounter with a Rhinoceros while he was out there.

Rightfully so, he was not believed, because we all know they are an animal of Africa. He must of got sick of telling his story in the end cause no one believed him. One day many years after this event an article appeared that made world news for a period of time. I Vietnam not far from the spot where the soldier claimed he had seen a Rhinoceros, a species of Pygmy Rhinoceros was discovered.

We all got to hear about it as the Soldier involved cut out the article and had it printed in the Vietnam Vets Magazine.
A sort of 'now look here you bastards I told I saw a Rhinoceros now do you believe me' We do, We do.
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:24 pm

By the way the Whitebait tally was back up to around 3 kilos yesterday. It dropped to about a kilo a day over the high tides. Then it picked up a bit during the lows and is getting better as the medium sized tides have kicked in.

I guess the bait don't run well in extremes of high and lows. Though the real reason may be the high tides stop the river flow completely and allow the bait to travel more up the centre of the river putting them out of reach of the Baiter and making them harder to catch.

I am getting to know the river and its moods better and how the bait runs differently every day.
0 x

Rushy
Site Admin
Location: Halfway up a hill on the true right of the Kaipara River

Postby Rushy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:57 pm

Have you tallied up the catch thus far Scribe?
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:28 pm

Not really 'Rushy' I gave well over a Kilo to the Wife and Husband whose farm I use to gain access to my possie and the rest to a mate who I snapper fish with and was out with me yesterday. So like many other days I come home without a fish.

I got the frame of my whitebait net welded up where I broke it all for another kilo of whitebait. I got the net caught in the weed and during my efforts to stop the whitebait exiting the net I bent the handle and broke the frame.
0 x

Rushy
Site Admin
Location: Halfway up a hill on the true right of the Kaipara River

Postby Rushy » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:47 am

Scribe wrote:Not really 'Rushy' I gave well over a Kilo to the Wife and Husband whose farm I use to gain access to my possie and the rest to a mate who I snapper fish with and was out with me yesterday. So like many other days I come home without a fish.

I got the frame of my whitebait net welded up where I broke it all for another kilo of whitebait. I got the net caught in the weed and during my efforts to stop the whitebait exiting the net I bent the handle and broke the frame.

Ha ha ha ha it is interesting isn't it, the lengths that we will go to not to let something escape once we have caught it.
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:10 am

You are right about the effort you put into not letting things escape. I had just got to the possie and was putting the whiteboard down and a shoal of the little devils ran over it right under my nose. With great dexterity I sized the net and 'scoop' I had the first lot for the day I thought. Being dead low tide I hooked a load of weed and the net came to a sudden stop and to my horror I saw the shoal do an about turn and streak toward the net entrance. I could feel my neck bulged out like a bullfrog as applied maximum upward pressure to tear free of the weed and keep the fish, and so the damage was done. I lashed a willow wand around the broken bit of frame and that worked remarkably well for the rest of the day.

Just off to the river now so we will see how we go today. The farmers Wife has expressed an interest in catching Whitebait so she and her son might come and join me today they said.

Its a beautiful fine day here after some good rain from a series of thunderstorms last evening. We have a bit of a South Easterly blowing at the moment and its cold for this time of the year, so I hope that buggers off before the fish start running. The riffles on the water make the bait had to see coming over the whiteboard.
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:49 pm

Well that's typical isn't it. It turns out yesterday was the day to be on the river and I was home doing some chores that I had put off doing for weeks.

I was greeted with 'You should have been up here yesterday I caught eighteen pound" by Dirty old Dick as he headed past in his boat this morning heading upriver to his stand. Catches yesterday are reported to be the biggest of the year so far from the little news I have picked up today.

The underground network seems to function well without me. It seems DOD had been talking to Piako Pete or the local Constable who spends an extraordinary amount of time watching the amount of bait that goes up the river or the Catcher who satisfies the Auckland Chinese Market, who all had the wheeze that yesterday was going to be the big day.

It is my desire now to be included in this knowledge network but I may not live long enough to qualify. Its pretty tight, maybe thirty years on the river will get me in.
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:40 am

Off to the river again on a beautiful day. Fishermen are lined up outside the window shoulder to shoulder this morning on the big rock so there must be plenty of snapper about. Two neighbours have set there flounder nets just out in the bay so the fishing is all on today.
The Wife's brother in law drove all the way up from Palmerston yesterday for a days whitebaiting today "now that's pretty keen isn't it' obviously he was so excited he couldn't sleep last night and he has been gophering around in the kitchen since 5 oclock this morning. We don't have to be at the possie until 10 oclock today but I had better take him there now before he drives us all mad.
So adios until after the whitebait run. He has even got his own net so the dog and I will probably get knocked into the river in the excitement of it all.
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:31 am

Bloody wind. The river had waves on it you could have surfed. It made the bait hard to see but we still got a reasonable catch. Looking for small improvements to the possie for next year as there is only a fortnight left of this season now.
0 x

Return to “General Fishing”