Fishing

How's the fishing in your area?
User avatar
hunter308
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon May 11, 2015 6:51 pm
Location: Tauranga/Waikato
x 2
x 5

Re: Fishing

Postby hunter308 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:23 pm

I was going to head over to Waikawau boat ramp tomorrow to launch the boat but the forecast is not favorable so going to try for next Saturday if the weather decides to play ball then I will be heading for Deadmans point
0 x

User avatar
Scribe
Site Admin
Posts: 2240
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:32 pm
Location: Coromandel
x 113

Re: Fishing

Postby Scribe » Sat May 20, 2017 10:21 am

hunter308 wrote:I was going to head over to Waikawau boat ramp tomorrow to launch the boat but the forecast is not favorable so going to try for next Saturday if the weather decides to play ball then I will be heading for Deadmans point


I would suggest If you want to get onto a limit bag reasonably comfortably and quickly you find the nearest Harvester and snuggle up to them or go on a row of freshly harvested bouys. There are a lot of Harvesters working at the moment and the are just dinner gongs for snapper and a few other species like Kahawai, trevally and Kingfish. There are three different types of barge you will see in the mussel farms only one type are harvesters. Look for those that have fishing boats hanging around them.
0 x

User avatar
hunter308
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon May 11, 2015 6:51 pm
Location: Tauranga/Waikato
x 2
x 5

Re: Fishing

Postby hunter308 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:17 am

Scribe wrote:
hunter308 wrote:I was going to head over to Waikawau boat ramp tomorrow to launch the boat but the forecast is not favorable so going to try for next Saturday if the weather decides to play ball then I will be heading for Deadmans point


I would suggest If you want to get onto a limit bag reasonably comfortably and quickly you find the nearest Harvester and snuggle up to them or go on a row of freshly harvested bouys. There are a lot of Harvesters working at the moment and the are just dinner gongs for snapper and a few other species like Kahawai, trevally and Kingfish. There are three different types of barge you will see in the mussel farms only one type are harvesters. Look for those that have fishing boats hanging around them.


Wanting to take the boat for a decent run Scribe as I always do short runs in kawhia and I would like to let the motor stretch its legs a bit more as the thing is only on its second tank of gas.
0 x

User avatar
Scribe
Site Admin
Posts: 2240
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:32 pm
Location: Coromandel
x 113

Re: Fishing

Postby Scribe » Sat May 20, 2017 1:29 pm

Launch at Te Puru and give the motor a good run on the way up to the mussel farm. You made a good choice not to launch up here today. Its raining, blowing its guts out and its very cold. Well it is for Coromandel.
0 x

User avatar
hunter308
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon May 11, 2015 6:51 pm
Location: Tauranga/Waikato
x 2
x 5

Re: Fishing

Postby hunter308 » Sat May 20, 2017 1:45 pm

I have to use either waikawau or Kereta ramps as I only have a station wagon no 4wd and need an all tide ramp, you will not find me any where it is crowded with boats and I refuse to fish the mussel farms I don't just target snapper I like to go for things like gurnard etc. I had also been checking the nowcast channel on the vhf checking the weather advisories as well as metservice site :D
0 x

User avatar
Scribe
Site Admin
Posts: 2240
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:32 pm
Location: Coromandel
x 113

Re: Fishing

Postby Scribe » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:36 pm

We went out from Waikawau this morning in the thick fog. Just as well the mussel farm is easy to find. Couldn't see a hand in front of our face so we gave up pretty soon looking for a harvester to snuggle up to. But instead chose a few rows of high buoys that looked like they had been freshly harvested and tied up to them. It did not take long for the first fish to come on board and before we knew it was time for a count up. 21 snapper and a very nice trevally as well. Picked our way back through the fog and was home in time for a late lunch.


Image
0 x

User avatar
Happy
Site Admin
Posts: 657
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:23 pm
Location: Central North Island
x 112
x 107

Re: Fishing

Postby Happy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:28 pm

Awesome. We bringing our bees back to Kaimarmara this arvo just on dark Will go for a fish out off cooks beach in the morning. Pheasant shoot Sat arvo than pig and pest shoot after the night flight of ducks is given a round up
Looking forward to it
0 x

User avatar
Scribe
Site Admin
Posts: 2240
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:32 pm
Location: Coromandel
x 113

Re: Fishing

Postby Scribe » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:45 pm

Happy wrote:Awesome. We bringing our bees back to Kaimarmara this arvo just on dark Will go for a fish out off cooks beach in the morning. Pheasant shoot Sat arvo than pig and pest shoot after the night flight of ducks is given a round up
Looking forward to it


You are probably out there now. Its calm here but windy on your side, probably not so good for fishing, but good for the night flight
0 x

User avatar
Happy
Site Admin
Posts: 657
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:23 pm
Location: Central North Island
x 112
x 107

Re: Fishing

Postby Happy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:11 pm

Small duck flight on Saturday night these two came in to range but that was it .

IMG_3870.JPG


Off the long line about 2Km off Cooks Beach on Sunday early.
Out and drop off then back for a coffee Returned an hour later

June 4 s .JPG


A nice 11 and 8 Pounder plus a few smaller but all good keepers...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

User avatar
Rushy
Site Admin
Posts: 1966
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:08 pm
Location: Halfway up a hill on the true right of the Kaipara River
x 1
x 73

Re: Fishing

Postby Rushy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:53 pm

Good stuff Happy.
0 x


Return to “General Fishing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Website by RAZOR Web Design