Soft Baiting

How's the fishing in your area?
Scribe
Site Admin

Soft Baiting

Postby Scribe » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:17 pm

I have seen it done many times but never tried it so I went out with the neighbour to have a go. So at daylight we were snuggled up close to a mussel harvester who was hard at work. The only problem with this sort of fishing is you have to put up with the head banging music played at full volume by the Maori boys who work on the Harvester.

First thing I learned was that fish that are dining on mussels will take little else. Rigged up with soft bait rod, reel with braid in the place of nylon we tried a few plastic guppys with not much success. So we baited up with mussels, tied them on the hook and started to flick them into the thick soup coming out of the mussel harvester.
Man was there some action then. We gave five fish each to two separate boats who had not caught much and still came home with enough really good snapper to be really happy. Oh and plus one large trevally.

I was amazed at the number of porore that we released I think of them more as an estuary fish but they sure hang around the mussel harvester.

0 x

Gapped Axe

Re: Soft Baiting

Postby Gapped Axe » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:14 am

I love using my soft bait rod for fishing. I use braid and 20lb flurocarbon for my leader. I just don't use soft baits. I use 2 hooks on the bottom with a sinker pinched onto the line so it doesn't slide and make the line twist, then I add another hook about 7oomm up from the bottom, sort of like a ledger rig. That's my set up and it works for me.
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:44 pm

After giving soft baiting a good try during the week we went out and found a harvester in action. It was a bit busy so we parked on a row just harvested and fished the old fashioned way with a ledger rig, and 8 ounces of lead on the bottom to keep it there.
Then we sat back with a coffee and a supply of sandwiches within reach and waited for the action. I must say this is a much more relaxed and enjoyable type of fishing suitable for gentlemen such as ourselves. Better than beating the water continuously with a stick and line, cast and retrieve, cast and retrieve. It is nicer to be sitting down on a comfy seat to than standing up with the boat trying to bolt out from under one. It was a bit choppy today with the wind against the tide.

0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:49 pm

Nice fish well coloured up again since the spawning.

0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:54 pm

0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:57 pm

The country around here is getting very dry.

0 x

Gapped Axe

Postby Gapped Axe » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:23 pm

I LLLLLLLLLLike Gentlemen fishing
0 x

Return to “General Fishing”