Yesterdays trip

How's the fishing in your area?
hunter308

Yesterdays trip

Postby hunter308 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:56 pm

Ok I did my first trip in the boat to Waiheke island from kawakawa bay for a spot of fishing and a bit of reminiscing of where I had been and how far I had come in the last 23 years.
My original destination was meant to be scully reef at Ponui Island but the southerly against the incoming tide buggered that plan so a last minute detour through sandspit passage saw me heading to the waiheke channel and rounding Kauri point on ponui and making a beeline for ruthes passage so I could take a look at rotoroa island a place I called home for 3 months and by goodness how much it had changed the pine trees were gone and native bush in its place so we anchored up and dropped a line and after an hour or so of no luck it was time to move on.

Next idea was joyces she spotted a mussel farm at the bottom end of Waiheke and wanted to try fishing there and I was wanting to anchor up at frenchmans cap to try there and luck wasn't on our side there either so it was time to up anchor and make tracks back to Kawakawa bay and head back home with a quick stop at Sunday rock to see if we could catch a fish there.

Can't wait to make that trip again yesterdays exercise was to give the engine a good long run before it goes for its 20 hour warranty service on Saturday all up I travelled just over 30K's and only used 12.5 liters of fuel mix, average speed 17-19 knots

Home Bay Rotoroa Island from Ruthes Passage

Pakatoa Island

Pakatoa end of Rotoroa Island and frenchmans cap

Waiheke Island
0 x

Happy
Site Admin

Re: Yesterdays trip

Postby Happy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:59 am

Nice pics.. Shame the fish weren t biting .. Beats workin tho !! :D
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:33 am

You were only a short boat ride from the Coromandel where all the good fishermen go 'Hunter 308'

Seriously though I think this spell of cold weather will see the snapper all head out into the deep until about the 20th September.
0 x

hunter308

Postby hunter308 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:38 pm

Scribe wrote:You were only a short boat ride from the Coromandel where all the good fishermen go 'Hunter 308'

Seriously though I think this spell of cold weather will see the snapper all head out into the deep until about the 20th September.

Maybe so but after the chop we encountered on the incoming in the firth making things uncomfortable it was better to play safe especially with me still learning about boating and make tracks for the waiheke channel where things were a bit more comfortable
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:36 am

Sorry about the stuff up I havnt learned how to unstuff it yet.
Took the nephew and his English girlfriend to catch her first fish. The weather was great but the fishing was slow as it always is this month. The 10 fish we brought home were in really good condition. Yesterday was warm and sunny, a great day to be on the sea. The girl absolutely loved the day. One day she may realise you don't need a lot of makeup to go out fishing in NZ.

Kids fishing 4.jpg
Kids fishing.jpg
Kids fishing.jpg
Kids fishing 2.jpg
Kids fishing 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

hunter308

Postby hunter308 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:15 pm

Some nice pics there Scribe absolutely green with envy at the moment here I am stuck in the control room of a rock crushing plant while the weather is mint and I see all these weekday fishing reports to rub salt in the wounds, at the end of the day I have to earn the money so I can go fishing and pay bills.Was meant to go out tomorrow but other half wants me to take her to the hair dressers plus I have a vintage penn reel I purchased that I need to take in for a service as I have started to collect vintage penn reels that are still usable. So far in my collection I have a senator 6/0, 309M, delmar 285, slammer 460 and I may possibly have a 2/0 senator coming if I win the auction for that. Next weekend I have strictly said no one is to bugger my plans for getting the boat out as it is the first weekend of the scallop season and I am going to take the dredge out as well as wet a line.
0 x

Return to “General Fishing”