Pacific Blue Fin Tuna on the west coast.

veitnamcam

Pacific Blue Fin Tuna on the west coast.

Postby veitnamcam » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:53 pm

Well I never thought I would be posting a trip report in a Big Game fishing forum but Here I go.

It started with a call from my mate "baldbob" or "bob" a few months earlier asking if I would be keen on a Blufin trip on one of his works boats, it would be a day or two notice for a weather window basicly drop everything and go.....would I? shit yes I would.

Barely an hour of sleep on his lounge floor then everyone was up and we loaded ice, hoki frames for chum, bait food and fuel for the deregistered for the trip boat.

heading out of port

Some of the tackel we would be using, 303 for scale.

Over the bar and on our way. Should be a vid if you click it?

Bob doing some greasing and tuiman doing some burlying :mrgreen:
click for vid.

Camera envy

We dropped some longlines and caught some bluenose,spiky dogs,snakes and hake.

Then it was more steaming out to where the factory trawlers were fishing to try for a blue fin as the light faded.

I offered to go first turn as chum bitch throwing over a bit every 30sec-min, Bob was first on the handline and half a fresh hoki we caught earlyer only lasted a couple of mins and we were on!!!

Mild panic ensued as we scrambeled to clip on a couple of small floats to keep the line tight to the fish as there is no way to control a run. As the line screamed out on that first run the drum got more and more empty and the other end was hastely tied off!
I have no real idea how much line was in that drum but I am guessing it took between 300 and 400m of line before we could start hauling it back in.
For a start 3 of us hauled the line at once while one re coiled the recovered line in the drum.
We got to the leader and it took off again, there is absolutely no stopping this fish when it decides to run.
We were all getting knackerd after a couple more runs and recoverys but you cannot rest, if you rest the fish will rest more than you and recover.
The line was starting to twist on itself really bad as it was coiled back in the drum now and it was becoming a real concern both safety wise and loosing the fish wise, we needed to boat this fish now!
Tuiman who was very ill was woken up to come and apply the icky stick when we got it alongside.
Finally by the boat coup de crace was applyed with a few 22lr rounds to the head.
Now we had another problem, the hydraulic winch could not lift the full weight of the fish and we had no sea door and the gaff was working threw the flesh with the swell, eventually we got a tail noose on it which was not easy in the swell and dark leaning over the sides.
At least we had it secure, there was talk of towing it to port but we persisted and with a team effort of winch maxed bouncing and pulling on the line and two guys hauling on the tail rope with the help of the swell bit by bit little by little we got it up and on board.

Hooked at 1830 we had it on board at around 2130

We were all pretty rooted,we recovered and rehydrated for an hour or so then the next mission of gilling and gutting it was performed and one final massive effort to get it over the 500mm lip and into the hold and packed with ice.

The next day we dropped some lines again and also rod fished, tuiman was much better today and could join in 8-)

It was a great second day the weather was a lot calmer and the fishing was good, we headed for port that night and tomorrow the clean up up boat and fish etc began.

The filleting mission begins

Was a trip of a liftime for me and was shared with a bunch of good barstards.

Special thanks to Adam....Epic trip mate 8-)
0 x

gadgetman

Re: Pacific Blue Fin Tuna on the west coast.

Postby gadgetman » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:23 pm

LIKE!

Epic experience. Bloody well done.
1 x

sneeze

Postby sneeze » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:25 pm

Brilliant
That is one big fish.

I hated moving house before , now I really hate it :D
1 x

Happy
Site Admin

Postby Happy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:30 pm

Wicked. Thanks Vc that's trip of a lifetime for sure ! :D
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:06 pm

Well well well was bloody interesting that was 'Cam'. I am a bit hazy about before the hookup. I presume you were sitting when you were chumming, not trolling???
0 x

veitnamcam

Postby veitnamcam » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:14 pm

Scribe wrote:Well well well was bloody interesting that was 'Cam'. I am a bit hazy about before the hookup. I presume you were sitting when you were chumming, not trolling???

Yep just sitting drifting with the wind/current Scribe.
1 x

Rushy
Site Admin
Location: Halfway up a hill on the true right of the Kaipara River

Postby Rushy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:59 am

Fantastic VC. Enjoyed the report immensely
0 x

veitnamcam

Postby veitnamcam » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:06 am

Cheers Rushy

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
0 x

Gibo

Postby Gibo » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:46 am

Far out what a hoot!! 8-) 8-) 8-) Awesome write up VC. Looked like a few wobbles heading out over the bar :shock:

Might have to plan a trip down one year :) One of them on a rod is on my bucket list. I will need to start at the gym as of today though :)
1 x

Gapped Axe

Postby Gapped Axe » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:51 am

great report and effort
1 x

Return to “Big Game Fishing”