An Accurate Hunting Load...Using 63gr Sierra SMP's

Scribe
Site Admin

An Accurate Hunting Load...Using 63gr Sierra SMP's

Postby Scribe » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:12 pm

BL-C(2) Powder and Federal Primers. I am Using a Sako Vixen, 1x12 twist. Has anyone got a good load they use, thanks.
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Re: An Accurate Hunting Load...Using 63gr Sierra SMP's

Postby Scribe » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:04 am

Well 'Happy' its no use coming to your place for advise this weekend then is it, you are somewhere down south.

Cases have been full length resized, primed.
Then loaded with 27gr BLC(2)
Empty cases load in and out of the chamber freely.
Loaded with 63 grain SMP's and they become sticky and hard to extract.
Bolt is a little tight lowered to the firing position and a fist has to be used to extract the unfired round.
I have varied the depth of projectile seating and it seems to make no difference.
I have loaded many thousands of rounds over the years with very few problems but this has got me a bit bluffed this time.
Going upstairs to study the problem with a cup of coffee.
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:40 am

Must have bloody broad shoulders these Sierra SMP's. I know they carry their weight up forward. So took them out to the lands and backed them off a bit more.

They extract OK now but a far deeper seated than I thought they would need to be.

Seated well back in the case compared to the 60 gr nosler's I have been using.

Am still hoping someone can save me some time and ammo by recommending a good accurate hunting load using BLC-(2)
0 x

tetawa

Postby tetawa » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:18 pm

Many years ago Federal loaded 55 Nosler solid base ( the original Noslers) in .223 factory ammo in 500 round boxes. I purchased a box for a mate, I don't think he ever used them. If you are interested let me know and I'll catch up with him.
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:58 pm

tetawa wrote:Many years ago Federal loaded 55 Nosler solid base ( the original Noslers) in .223 factory ammo in 500 round boxes. I purchased a box for a mate, I don't think he ever used them. If you are interested let me know and I'll catch up with him.

That is great 'Tetawa' I have only just finished loading the 55gr Nosler solid base projectile cause I finally ran out of them. They were one of the early really great deer projectiles. I don't know why they discontinued them.
0 x

Carpe Diem

Postby Carpe Diem » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:11 pm

Hey scribe - Hows the stability of the Sierras at that twist rate as I struggle with accuracy or consistency in anything over 60gr in my Rem 700 apart from the 60 gr partitions. Do you think the reason you are still searching for a load is that you're top ended as far as stability goes? just a suggestion.

You won't likely see keyholing at that weight jump, but it may be the first signs of lack of stability as it sounds like you are pounding those out with a pretty full load. I too tried taking mine to 65's and 70's before settling back to great accuracy in the 55 to 60 range where I could use blitzkings, v-max's, soft points or Partitions all happily with great accuracy and dependability.

Just a thought?
P.
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:20 am

Carpe Diem wrote:Hey scribe - Hows the stability of the Sierras at that twist rate as I struggle with accuracy or consistency in anything over 60gr in my Rem 700 apart from the 60 gr partitions. Do you think the reason you are still searching for a load is that you're top ended as far as stability goes? just a suggestion.

You won't likely see keyholing at that weight jump, but it may be the first signs of lack of stability as it sounds like you are pounding those out with a pretty full load. I too tried taking mine to 65's and 70's before settling back to great accuracy in the 55 to 60 range where I could use blitzkings, v-max's, soft points or Partitions all happily with great accuracy and dependability.

Just a thought?
P.

Yeah 'C.D' I have always over the years loaded 55gr projectile for the .223 and never felt the need to venture into the heavier projectile range. When I used the last of my 55 Noslers and couldn't get anymore I started using Nosler 60gr partition with indifferent results in the 1x12 twist barrel.

Then I started to hear about the great results people were having with the Sierra 63gr SMP in the 1x12 or even the 1x14 twist.
'Gillie' and a few other reckon you have to try them as they open up a whole new field of 223 shooting. The 63gr has big shoulders and is a very short projectile for its weight so evidently this allows the 1x12 and 1x14 to stabilize them well. All that I have read about them since just confirms that this is indeed true. I was hoping someone had used enough of them on deer and had a good accurate hunting load with lots of speed behind it already worked out. This would have given me a starting point to begin with. So far I have loaded a few and haven't fired a single sierra 63gr down the range. I will do so tomorrow hopefully.
0 x

Carpe Diem

Postby Carpe Diem » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:27 am

That's a really good explanation of why the Sierra SMP would work. Now I'm curious ... as you are, about the 63 being able to work for me also. So will be really interested in your results as the Partition to the eye looked a little less accurate but ok - and I seated them in a very similar length to the Hornady 55 SP's which are my base line of comparison.

Gillies pretty good at this stuff - just saying! so would not be putting us astray. I'll see if I can lay my hand on a few to try and I'll be shooting it with ADI brass, cci match primers and ADI 2206h if I do make a brew on this.

CD
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:18 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:That's a really good explanation of why the Sierra SMP would work. Now I'm curious ... as you are, about the 63 being able to work for me also. So will be really interested in your results as the Partition to the eye looked a little less accurate but ok - and I seated them in a very similar length to the Hornady 55 SP's which are my base line of comparison.

Gillies pretty good at this stuff - just saying! so would not be putting us astray. I'll see if I can lay my hand on a few to try and I'll be shooting it with ADI brass, cci match primers and ADI 2206h if I do make a brew on this.

CD

If you cant get your hands on any of the 63's 'C.D' I will send you some to try. There are some really positive results out there using this projectile,
0 x

Carpe Diem

Postby Carpe Diem » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:45 pm

Hi Scribe just had a re-read your earlier post on this thread (2) and where you specify what you had loaded and in the cartridge that previously lead to the sticky bolt situation.

I think I know what might have happened... Your load of 26 gr is a little beyond the max of (24gr) and with seating the new projectile to a same length as other previous successful projectile COAL's you may have compressed the load to a point where you slightly have bulged out the side of the cartridge. I did exactly this trying to mag fit a load into a 300 AAC magazine with a new bigger projectile being longer in the Nosler 168gr against the previous 125gr version without immediately realising I had way less capacity and needed to reduce the load anyway for the larger projectile for pressure reasons.

This is what I found when I looked up your 222 load data for BL (2) on Hogdens site with the 63 SMP as the projectile where it suggests 24gr as a max load- do you have calipers or similar to check the sides of the cartridge for a very slight bulge?

Just a wild thought as to why it may be sticky going in to the chamber prior to being fired.

Paul.
0 x

Return to “Reloading and Ballistics”