Sweede loads for 140 amax

Scribe
Site Admin

Re: Sweede loads for 140 amax

Postby Scribe » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:09 pm

Neckshot wrote:So I went out and grouped three loads 47, 47.5, 48.
The first and third loads were around one and a half to two inch groups. But the 47.5 load was band on the money. One flyer at the start poor shooting rest. But the last three shots were slick.
ImageImage
Bit of fun after with a nasty bit of bush kit

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

What range did you shoot this group at 'Neckshot'
0 x

Neckshot

Postby Neckshot » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:19 pm

100 yards Scribe. Using the bench in the photo.

0 x

Neckshot

Re: RE: Re: Sweede loads for 140 amax

Postby Neckshot » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:20 pm

Rushy wrote:[quote="Neckshot"]Cheers. It's great hunting weather but I'm on call, I've had a couple of calls today so it worthwhile.

Where do you live Neckshot. I will most probably be down in Masterton at a lose end next Saturday. Brad's will be off the farm at the beach with his family so I will probably look up the gnome but thought we could Goa start a pun brawl. Ha ha ha ha[/quote]
I live 5 mins from the nome I will find you if you find him

0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:22 pm

Neckshot wrote:100 yards Scribe. Using the bench in the photo.

You have to respect the Swede dont you. Most of, if not all its parts were manufactured over 100 years ago. And there they are down the range trading shot for shot or up in the mountains knocking them down along with the best of them.

A truly remarkable life span for a rifle.
1 x

Neckshot

Postby Neckshot » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:06 pm

Scribe wrote:[quote="Neckshot"]100 yards Scribe. Using the bench in the photo.

You have to respect the Swede dont you. Most of, if not all its parts were manufactured over 100 years ago. And there they are down the range trading shot for shot or up in the mountains knocking them down along with the best of them.

A truly remarkable life span for a rifle.[/quote]
Myself and my good shooting and Hunting mate were discussing just that after discussing it's morning performance Scribe. 1922 my sweede was made...steel barrel, when a tradesman made that rifle I believe he wouldn't be surprised to know that 94 years later it would be doing what it's doing in little old Dannevirke!. $450 it cost me and it has no right being accurate simply because it's old and not in a hunting magazine.........

There is a very important lesson I've learnt out of all of this, one that I believe would mostly fall on deaf ears. But that's ok as this rifle will be with me for a very long time to come.

0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:12 am

Yes I think one of the secrets the longevity of these rifles is, its a great calibre. They say if you sat a group of designers down and got them to design a really good medium game rifle the 6.5x55 is pretty well where they all end up.

My one I sold recently in original condition, matching numbers and bayonet was made in 1914 or 18 I cant remember now.

300 dollars I sold it for, a bit stupid but I already had one.
0 x

MUCKO
Site Admin

Postby MUCKO » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:21 pm

Scribe wrote:Yes I think one of the secrets the longevity of these rifles is, its a great calibre. They say if you sat a group of designers down and got them to design a really good medium game rifle the 6.5x55 is pretty well where they all end up.

My one I sold recently in original condition, matching numbers and bayonet was made in 1914 or 18 I cant remember now.

300 dollars I sold it for, a bit stupid but I already had one.

Had i known you were selling one i would of found the money to buy such a minter
0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:03 pm

After reading this thread in order to shoot a animal with a swede I would need to hand load for it?? It makes me wonder how they got on a hundred years ago. Where the animals weaker back then ....?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x

Neckshot

Postby Neckshot » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:39 pm

Packhorse wrote:After reading this thread in order to shoot a animal with a swede I would need to hand load for it?? It makes me wonder how they got on a hundred years ago. Where the animals weaker back then ....?

Not at all. I've shot a few good sized animals with packet ammo. I just like handloading for a sweede for the odd longer shot, and amaxes are cool to look at 8-). This perticular sweede had lost Accracy so I cut two inches of the end and it went back to inch and a half with packet which is good. I just like a bit more.

0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:35 pm

Neckshot wrote:[quote="Packhorse"]After reading this thread in order to shoot a animal with a swede I would need to hand load for it?? It makes me wonder how they got on a hundred years ago. Where the animals weaker back then ....?

Not at all. I've shot a few good sized animals with packet ammo. I just like handloading for a sweede for the odd longer shot, and amaxes are cool to look at 8-). This perticular sweede had lost Accracy so I cut two inches of the end and it went back to inch and a half with packet which is good. I just like a bit more.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk[/quote]
A bit more speed/velocity ? I've always wondered about the swede but was like you always need to go faster it's down loaded it's a wimp cartridge etc etc.

0 x

Return to “Reloading and Ballistics”