Sighting In

Double Shot

Sighting In

Postby Double Shot » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:40 pm

Team,

Got four shooters that I need to sight in, anyone here on the HBC have a bore sight kit to get me started, really need to get this all sorted, got three I haven't fired yet and two that need sighting due to scope changes...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am a member of the Nth Akl NZDA but dates aren't working for me.

Cheers Craig
0 x

Carpe Diem

Re: Sighting In

Postby Carpe Diem » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:04 pm

Hi there,

Are they all bolt actions - i.e can you take the bolt, or see up the barrel from behind? If so I'd recommend bagging the rifle up with a 25 m target out on the back lawn. Then set your scope to halfway in the vertical travel in the rings lightly done up. You should be able to visually sight the rifle and scope to the same spot on the target tighten and recheck.

That should get you on the paper and set for your eye relief its a good way to do the initial check in. A small level is a handy too to check your not canting the scope. Make sure you check your bases are tight slowly and evenly tightening a turn on each so you don't tweak things.

Sunday is open General Shoot at Auckland Deerstalkers range - check the website. I'm going myself probably in the AM to test if a M82 is up to muster as well as a bit of a play with a few others - so they don't get lonely in he safe..

Shoot and correct your rifles to sight in then check a 20 click square coming back to where you started and you should be done.

Hope that helps..Don't bother with the laser boresighters they're shite - a Cllemator is good but I'm dubious of putting a metal rod/mandrel inside the crown of a new rifle. A good crowns a precious thing.
0 x

Double Shot

Postby Double Shot » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:57 pm

Cheers for that, didn't think of the Auckland Branch... Had better get online and see where it is exactly and times so on and so forth
0 x

Carpe Diem

Postby Carpe Diem » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:32 pm

http://www.deerstalkers.co.nz/range

This is the link you want - open Sunday - you have to be at the gate 8.45 and 1pm - id suggest you're there 15-30 mins before that or you'll be the back ob the line to the carpark. Its a working forest so they only let you in and out at specific times.

I'll be there Sunday morning if you run into issues on the 100m so look for a lefty shuffling between 4 rifles to the bench with a guy shooting a 6.5 Tikka sporter...

cheers P.
0 x

Double Shot

Postby Double Shot » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:12 am

Carpe Diem wrote:http://www.deerstalkers.co.nz/range

This is the link you want - open Sunday - you have to be at the gate 8.45 and 1pm - id suggest you're there 15-30 mins before that or you'll be the back ob the line to the carpark. Its a working forest so they only let you in and out at specific times.

I'll be there Sunday morning if you run into issues on the 100m so look for a lefty shuffling between 4 rifles to the bench with a guy shooting a 6.5 Tikka sporter...

cheers P.

Cheers P.

Should be all good, think the boss has given me a pass.... as long as my shell holders arrive today/Saturday I should get some 300WM loaded, do need to site in everything else so shall be a busy morning for me...will need a rest myself are there many there? What's a good time to leave from here, Manly?

Cheers C
0 x

Double Shot

Postby Double Shot » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:57 pm

Hope this weather improves for a sighting in mission tomorrow....
0 x

Rushy
Site Admin
Location: Halfway up a hill on the true right of the Kaipara River

Postby Rushy » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:54 am

Double Shot wrote:Hope this weather improves for a sighting in mission tomorrow....

It is still windy and raining at Woodhill.
0 x

Double Shot

Postby Double Shot » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:07 pm

It was splendid, got plenty sorted, just a little fine tuning on a day when I have more time....
0 x

Return to “Shooting and Target Shooting”