Sighting in....

veitnamcam

Re: Sighting in....

Postby veitnamcam » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:13 am

My 595 (in 243) wouldn't shoot anything very well even tuned handloads were and inch at 100.
Re bedded the stock and hey presto it shot 1/4 inch with loads it liked and 3/4 with ones it didn't.
0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:37 am

veitnamcam wrote:My 595 (in 243) wouldn't shoot anything very well even tuned handloads were and inch at 100.
Re bedded the stock and hey presto it shot 1/4 inch with loads it liked and 3/4 with ones it didn't.

Something else to consider. I've had it for a while n never bothered about that as it's always done the biz until now I try to shoot 200m.....must put a bit of extra strain on the barrel doing that....;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x

veitnamcam

Postby veitnamcam » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:05 pm

Give it to Andrew to sort out and it will be anywhere in the eye to 300y at least.
0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:57 am

The stars aligned for me a bit yesterday and was able to get to the big smoke and buy some Boretech Eliminator and a one piece rod. I followed instructions n gave it a good scrubbing. After done that had a look down barrel n oh oh some spots I hadn't seen before. Not a lot just a couple. I'm wondering now will it be worth putting some rounds through to confirm that the barrel might have a issue or not? I haven't looked at the bedding yet to see if any issues there but most things from now I'd imagine are going to be a confirmation at a gunsmiths possible re-bedding n at best chopping re-crown and since I'm there threading. I'd say that will depend on where if/any pits are in the barrel n how much I'd have to chop.

0 x

Happy
Site Admin

Postby Happy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:17 am

Yep try it but approach it slowly and record everything accurately

The clean out may have helped it. Hey it may be a scope or mounts problem ?

Sight it at 50 mtrs on paper and get your vertical line adjusted first.
Don't worry about horizontal heights too much until you are happy that vertically its shooting straight with no flyers.
Obviously you need to shoot locked up ,comfortable and using a repeatable technique.
When it is satisfactory and you are comfortable its vertically correct adjust horizontal till its near enough to the bull and move out.
This part should only take 3 or 4 rounds (Joys of being close to your target ha ha )

Move out to your 100 mark.
Then try it again and see if it groups ok. Take a felt pen and put a circle around your three shot groups before you adjust it again.
Don't let it get too hot .
If you getting 3 in a 1 inch circle its ok (Repeat ably) you can start to fine tune it down to 1/2 or better. .

Don't pressure your self to shoot 1/2 groups or les until you know the gear is going to perform.
The 1 inch groups should be easily repeatable so long as the barrel heat is monitored.
Considering some of this sometimes helps to fine tune things once you get to that stage.
It can help you figure what you are doing repeat ably wrong ? May help at final stages ?

IMG_0623.JPG

If not its got issues ....
Doing it this way does not use a lot of ammo. My last lemon I figured it had issues after just firing 9 rounds through it.
Could not get a decent group at all after the first three , then it was sometimes back off the paper (wtf!!)
Sent it to get suppressed and bingo bent barrel found just like that !!!
It now sits and owns the naughty corner of the gun safe .... :oops:

Once I had this technique figured out I find it pretty easy now to decide which gun shoots ok ,which is good and most important which is a keeper.
Good Luck .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:30 am

Packhorse wrote:The stars aligned for me a bit yesterday and was able to get to the big smoke and buy some Boretech Eliminator and a one piece rod. I followed instructions n gave it a good scrubbing. After done that had a look down barrel n oh oh some spots I hadn't seen before. Not a lot just a couple. I'm wondering now will it be worth putting some rounds through to confirm that the barrel might have a issue or not? I haven't looked at the bedding yet to see if any issues there but most things from now I'd imagine are going to be a confirmation at a gunsmiths possible re-bedding n at best chopping re-crown and since I'm there threading. I'd say that will depend on where if/any pits are in the barrel n how much I'd have to chop.

I would look to the bedding first. Have you taken the stock off it???. One of the most common problems we come across is seeds and rubbish that are gathered over the years between stock and action or barrel. If the rifle gets wet they swell and cause quite large shooting errors, also if the wood get saturated and dries it will often have a twisting action on the stock causing poor accuracy.

I have just had to re-bed my Sako as the constant wetting and drying of the stock over the years had caused the stock to twist. A worn out barrel is one thing but some light pitting is not a great cause for alarm.
1 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:53 am

Scribe wrote:[quote="Packhorse"]The stars aligned for me a bit yesterday and was able to get to the big smoke and buy some Boretech Eliminator and a one piece rod. I followed instructions n gave it a good scrubbing. After done that had a look down barrel n oh oh some spots I hadn't seen before. Not a lot just a couple. I'm wondering now will it be worth putting some rounds through to confirm that the barrel might have a issue or not? I haven't looked at the bedding yet to see if any issues there but most things from now I'd imagine are going to be a confirmation at a gunsmiths possible re-bedding n at best chopping re-crown and since I'm there threading. I'd say that will depend on where if/any pits are in the barrel n how much I'd have to chop.

I would look to the bedding first. Have you taken the stock off it???. One of the most common problems we come across is seeds and rubbish that are gathered over the years between stock and action or barrel. If the rifle gets wet they swell and cause quite large shooting errors, also if the wood get saturated and dries it will often have a twisting action on the stock causing poor accuracy.

I have just had to re-bed my Sako as the constant wetting and drying of the stock over the years had caused the stock to twist. A worn out barrel is one thing but some light pitting is not a great cause for alarm.[/quote]
I've never had the stock of in the time I've had it so will have a look. Being plastic it shouldn't have warped but will be checking barrel channel. I won't be able to shoot until weekend anyway so it'll give me a chance to have a look.

0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:56 am

Happy wrote:Yep try it but approach it slowly and record everything accurately

The clean out may have helped it. Hey it may be a scope or mounts problem ?

Sight it at 50 mtrs on paper and get your vertical line adjusted first.
Don't worry about horizontal heights too much until you are happy that vertically its shooting straight with no flyers.
Obviously you need to shoot locked up ,comfortable and using a repeatable technique.
When it is satisfactory and you are comfortable its vertically correct adjust horizontal till its near enough to the bull and move out.
This part should only take 3 or 4 rounds (Joys of being close to your target ha ha )

Move out to your 100 mark.
Then try it again and see if it groups ok. Take a felt pen and put a circle around your three shot groups before you adjust it again.
Don't let it get too hot .
If you getting 3 in a 1 inch circle its ok (Repeat ably) you can start to fine tune it down to 1/2 or better. .

Don't pressure your self to shoot 1/2 groups or les until you know the gear is going to perform.
The 1 inch groups should be easily repeatable so long as the barrel heat is monitored.
Considering some of this sometimes helps to fine tune things once you get to that stage.
It can help you figure what you are doing repeat ably wrong ? May help at final stages ?

IMG_0623.JPG

If not its got issues ....
Doing it this way does not use a lot of ammo. My last lemon I figured it had issues after just firing 9 rounds through it.
Could not get a decent group at all after the first three , then it was sometimes back off the paper (wtf!!)
Sent it to get suppressed and bingo bent barrel found just like that !!!
It now sits and owns the naughty corner of the gun safe .... :oops:

Once I had this technique figured out I find it pretty easy now to decide which gun shoots ok ,which is good and most important which is a keeper.
Good Luck .

When I got a bit more serious about testing I was pretty conscious of keeping it as consistent and repeatable as I could. Possibly barrel could have being a bit warm with last shots. What's a reasonable time between shots. I'd be firing three shot groups.

0 x

Happy
Site Admin

Postby Happy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:35 pm

Most folks who work with their hands can withstand holding an item 45 to 50 degrees for a small moment.
I work off if its getting near that then its too hot.
Funny though I ve put 25 through a Ruger 10 22 and 30 down an AR both as fast as possible and the barrels were VF Hot but both still performed ok. Must affect some more than others. The plastic Ruger stock ummm melted ha ha
The AR just wanted more it never mis behaved in any way and it was way HOTTT !!!
0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:32 pm

Happy wrote:Most folks who work with their hands can withstand holding an item 45 to 50 degrees for a small moment.
I work off if its getting near that then its too hot.
Funny though I ve put 25 through a Ruger 10 22 and 30 down an AR both as fast as possible and the barrels were VF Hot but both still performed ok. Must affect some more than others. The plastic Ruger stock ummm melted ha ha
The AR just wanted more it never mis behaved in any way and it was way HOTTT !!!

Just worked it out heat not degrees of angle. ;-)

0 x

Return to “Shooting and Target Shooting”