Sighting in....

veitnamcam

Re: RE: Re: Sighting in....

Postby veitnamcam » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:22 pm

Packhorse wrote:[quote="Scribe"][quote="Packhorse"]The stars aligned for me a bit yesterday and was able to get to the big smoke and buy some Boretech Eliminator and a one piece rod. I followed instructions n gave it a good scrubbing. After done that had a look down barrel n oh oh some spots I hadn't seen before. Not a lot just a couple. I'm wondering now will it be worth putting some rounds through to confirm that the barrel might have a issue or not? I haven't looked at the bedding yet to see if any issues there but most things from now I'd imagine are going to be a confirmation at a gunsmiths possible re-bedding n at best chopping re-crown and since I'm there threading. I'd say that will depend on where if/any pits are in the barrel n how much I'd have to chop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would look to the bedding first. Have you taken the stock off it???. One of the most common problems we come across is seeds and rubbish that are gathered over the years between stock and action or barrel. If the rifle gets wet they swell and cause quite large shooting errors, also if the wood get saturated and dries it will often have a twisting action on the stock causing poor accuracy.

I have just had to re-bed my Sako as the constant wetting and drying of the stock over the years had caused the stock to twist. A worn out barrel is one thing but some light pitting is not a great cause for alarm.[/quote]
I've never had the stock of in the time I've had it so will have a look. Being plastic it shouldn't have warped but will be checking barrel channel. I won't be able to shoot until weekend anyway so it'll give me a chance to have a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]
Being plastic it quite possibly has never been right. Fortunatly it us an easy fix.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
0 x

mikee

Re: Sighting in....

Postby mikee » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:28 pm

I would use better targets to get a consistent aiming point. scale them up ie same target but twice size of 100m @ 200m

I use these ones
http://www.jprifles.com/document_pdfs/J ... et_266.pdf
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:41 am

They are useful 'Mikee'. Thanks
0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:15 pm

Update.....

Cleaned barrel...left a dash of lube in while not using...
Took stock off, barrel is free floated. Cleaned some crud out but not half a forest or anything like that.
Bought some ammo today.
Dry patch through to take lube off... Looking at patch might need to do another scrubbing as a bit dirty. Took out to range a bit breezy (same as last time really). Tried to be consistent shooting position (prone off bipod, hand under butt) and results
ImageImage

0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:16 pm

Yeah I did all my shooting upside down.....

0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:10 pm

200m gap is 2" down n 4" across. Not awesome but chest of deer.

0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:32 pm

Yeah....given it another good scrub now as some 'colour' came through on patch I put thru prior to shooting those groups so thinking copper fouling..? Next time gotta do shooting on a reasonably windless day ...if possible

0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:45 pm

Yeap blue...

0 x

Return to “Shooting and Target Shooting”