.22 Rifle cleaning and lubing products?

Willie

.22 Rifle cleaning and lubing products?

Postby Willie » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:33 pm

Hey everyone, my new (but used) Remy .22 arrived today and bugger me side ways it needs a very, very good clean.
Quickly took it apart and had a look and damn it is full of gritty shit and carbon.
Just wondering what's your go to products for removing carbon and all the other general shit and what's your lube of choice?

Lovely wee rifle and once given a good clean she will be a goer. Only my second rifle in the cabinet- all good by me.
0 x

Packhorse

Re: .22 Rifle cleaning and lubing products?

Postby Packhorse » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:40 pm

Break free CLP is what I use. Most probably better products out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:59 pm

I flush my auto shotgun after every couple of thousand rounds clay bird shooting with CRC. Flushes out the accumulated carbon quite well. I also flush out my rifle trigger groups with it.
0 x

Carpe Diem

Postby Carpe Diem » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:12 pm

Cleaning for 22 depends on the purpose its being required for:

My CZ Target 22lr only gets a barrel clean once a year as I shoot with SK lead projectlies only through this one and leave the barrel "leaded" for this specific purpose and massively improves accuracy over a clean barrel. The bolt / reciever is cleaned weekly and every week before shooting it gets a pull through - a piece of line trimmer roll with a slit cut with a stanley knife with a cotton swab with a few less threads hand pulled out. This is my go-to for paper punching clean up as it takes about 30-40 rounds to get back to same hole-ish accuracy. Please note I shoot this once to twice a week so its not sitting unfired in the safe for long periods.

When I do clean either it or my hunting 22 brass brush til you don't see leadsmoke appear from the barrel, a good mop out using KG1, then jag and cotton swab's. If there has been any copper in the barrel I'll use KG12 afterwards on a mop leave for an hour Pluuging the barel with a few sswabs at the crown end while I leave it) then dry swab followed by Meths on a swab til no green on the cloth. I'll then re-lead the barrel usually using usually cci (standard velocity) rounds for two reasons - half the price of SK and have a nice waxy covering that means it leads up a bit quicker.

On the hunting 22 as with all my centrefire rifles I used to use Breakfree but it is a bit gluggy to leave in a barrel and attracts dust and (potentially) grit, but of course great if leaving in he safe for a while as it stops the liklihood of pitting or rust in the barrel/crown. I got onto using CRC longlife via my discussions with Nathan Foster and it works really well as a lubricant but also excellent to use in a "shootover situation" which can be really handy, easy to apply and has I think helped things for me suitably on the maintenance side of things. I also use the CRC soft seal product sprayed over the action and Barrel of the rifle hidden inside the stock as a longer term fix for stopping corosion in rifles where I've used the "glue and screw" method of bedding.

Hope this is helpful to you guys out there..
0 x

Willie

Postby Willie » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:38 pm

Thanks for the info.

Looks like this weekend will be cleaning and preping her for some firing. Half of me thinks just wash the bugger under the tap and be done and let it dry then clean properly and a really good lube.
Not sure that would be the best option but she needs cleaning.
0 x

Justsittinbac

Postby Justsittinbac » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:41 am

I use break clean, and old tooth brush and compressed air, the break clean dry's as well, then oil as normal, this works for ;) me.
1 x

P38

Postby P38 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:53 pm

I use Breakfree CLP and/or Hoppes #9 solvent and Hoppes oil

Cheers
Pete
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:15 pm

Does anyone remember Youngs 303 Gun Oil. When you had been in the bush for a while and on a rare occurrence you met a Loopy you could smell it on him and his rifle a mile away. How anyone got close to a deer smelling like that beats me.
I stick to sewing machine oil.
0 x

veitnamcam

Re: RE: Re: .22 Rifle cleaning and lubing products?

Postby veitnamcam » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:32 pm

Scribe wrote:Does anyone remember Youngs 303 Gun Oil. When you had been in the bush for a while and on a rare occurrence you met a Loopy you could smell it on him and his rifle a mile away. How anyone got close to a deer smelling like that beats me.
I stick to sewing machine oil.

Yep still got a part bottle here somewhere.
Hoppes is pretty strong smelling....its a deer attractant :D:D

Na... up untill a year ago yesterday I smoked while hunting and shot my share.
If they are going to smell you you are not doing your bit properly.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:41 pm

I bet you wernt puffing on one when you were getting in real close in thick scrub for a shot. Down wind, up wind, cross wind they will smell you alright.

If I can smell the gun oil at a fair range?

We all reckoned we were more effective in the bush after a couple of weeks when we had lost the smell of the city and had absorbed a bit of piss stain odour of the animals we were hunting. Some hunters shunned soaps toothpastes and stuff like that.

Some of our young men try so hard to not smell like a man that they are the walking product of a Pharmacy that even their dogs try to stay upwind of.

The Plains Indian had to sneak in within bow range of the Buffalo so he rolls in buffalo shit. It could have been 'bullshit' Ha Ha.

One does it for a sport and the other really really needs the meat to get him through the winter.
0 x

Return to “Rifles”