Re: Two Are A Force

Postby Neckshot » Tue May 12, 2015 9:25 pm

Timeless. Thanks Scribe.
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Wed May 13, 2015 5:28 pm

Thanks you guys. This putting up stories is like is like moving your furniture into a new house.

I know many of you have read them but I feel more comfortable with a few belongings around me and the house looks to me, at least a bit lived in.

There will be I hope, lots of new members who will not have read them.
0 x

Rushy
Site Admin
Location: Halfway up a hill on the true right of the Kaipara River

Postby Rushy » Wed May 13, 2015 5:31 pm

We are at a count of 54 and rising Scribe so I am sure you will get that wish granted.
0 x

P38

Postby P38 » Wed May 13, 2015 7:30 pm

Scribe wrote:
P38 wrote:Good read alright

Thanks for the post.

Scribe did you ever come across a Forrest Service Culler called Percy Smith?

Cheers
Pete.

No Pete I didn't know him. Was he a Ruahine man.

Scribe

Percy was my Fathers Uncle, My Great Uncle.

He was a Culler after WW2 and I believed he worked in the Tararua and the Ruahine Ranges.

I remember seeing lots of photos he had of Ruahine and No Mans Huts which I think were taken in the late 50's or early 60's.
Some of the photos I recognised as Slaughter Ridge and the Seconds & Thirds.
Places I hunt now.

Why I mention this is when He married Aunty Nanty they also spent their first months as a married couple living in the forest service Huts similar to what you described in you story which prompted me to think about Uncle Percy, his Hunting Stories and Photos and his Trophy Room.

In his latter years Uncle Percy loved Hunting the Sambar in the Foxton area.

Uncle Percy also passed on his love of the Bush and Hunting to my Father who in turn passed it on to Me. :D

Both Percy and my Father have passed on now, so I love remembering things like this.

Cheers
Pete
0 x

P38

Postby P38 » Wed May 13, 2015 7:33 pm

Scribe

Another old timer ex forest service man you may know is Barry Peez.

Barry is in his 80's retired and living in Waipukurau.

Cheers
Pete
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Wed May 13, 2015 8:04 pm

P38 wrote:Scribe

Cheers
Pete

No Pete don't know him. I knew a lot of the older guys from when I was the editor of the Deer cullers Mag. Barry wasn't one of them though.

You mention No Mans Pete. My Wife and I exited the vehicle on the Makirikiri Bluffs. Cyanided down to Makirikiri Hut
across the Horse Paddocks down to the Ikawatea River up the Ikawatea to Ikawatea Hut and up to the bush edge just below Nomans Huts and raced back to Ikawatea to spend the night.

All the way back down to the hut my Wife kept saying, slow down, my legs are weak, you have no consideration. My answer was "You will know all about consideration when its dark and we cant find the track and we have to sleep out here" It was the middle of winter and it was going to be a bitterly cold night we were both just in shorts and swannee's.

I point out that line my Wife did with me to people we take up there and they cant believe it. When I look at the distances we covered as a matter of course I can hardly believe it myself.
0 x

P38

Postby P38 » Wed May 13, 2015 8:41 pm

Scribe wrote:
P38 wrote:Scribe

Cheers
Pete

No Pete don't know him. I knew a lot of the older guys from when I was the editor of the Deer cullers Mag. Barry wasn't one of them though.

You mention No Mans Pete. My Wife and I exited the vehicle on the Makirikiri Bluffs. Cyanided down to Makirikiri Hut
across the Horse Paddocks down to the Ikawatea River up the Ikawatea to Ikawatea Hut and up to the bush edge just below Nomans Huts and raced back to Ikawatea to spend the night.

All the way back down to the hut my Wife kept saying, slow down, my legs are weak, you have no consideration. My answer was "You will know all about consideration when its dark and we cant find the track and we have to sleep out here" It was the middle of winter and it was going to be a bitterly cold night we were both just in shorts and swannee's.

I point out that line my Wife did with me to people we take up there and they cant believe it. When I look at the distances we covered as a matter of course I can hardly believe it myself.

No wounder she was complaining ..... I would have been too.

That's a hell of a haul to take anyone on let alone your New Bride.

I've only been into Ikawatea twice, both were overnighters.

Nowadays I tend to stick to the tops in that neck of the woods.......... Too fat to make it in and OUT of there now, although I do like to have a nosey along those creek heads and slips just south of Herricks Spur.

Unfortunately I missed out on a permit this last year ..... hope to get one come September this year.

Cheers
Pete
0 x

Return to “The Hunters Magazine”