You Guys And Gals Be Careful Out There

Short stories and more
Scribe
Site Admin

You Guys And Gals Be Careful Out There

Postby Scribe » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:30 am

There seems to have been a lot of people shot this roar already and it is not even April yet. Certainly seems a lot more Loopys hitting the sticks this time every year so the risk is higher that you will become a target.

Train yourself to pick up sign and keep your eyes and ears open so that you pick up other hunters before they pick you up.

It definitely was a hang up I carried over from my time in the Army in Malaya and Vietnam but in all those years I spent carrying a rifle in the NZ bush as a professional Hunter, I don't think I was ever surprised by another Hunter. I treated and still do treat other hunters in the bush as the enemy.

Believe it or not you do develop a sixth sense after a while that warns you before you pick up other obvious sign that you are sharing the same patch of bush with another hunter. A lot of poaching helps to hone these skills I found.
1 x

Packhorse

Re: You Guys And Gals Be Careful Out There

Postby Packhorse » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:37 am

I had a chuckle at the last sentence 'Scribe'....I'd say it could a bit of a polarising sentence though. There's certainly a lot of truth in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x

scouser

Postby scouser » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:27 pm

Yeah guys, be safe and extra vigilant, double check all movement and consider it a human first....

i will be in a 'private block', but will still be weary that poachers could be in there also......

hot barrels guys!!!!
0 x

Sakokid

Postby Sakokid » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:19 pm

I read a book by Wayne Blake. He was doing the possum thing in Clements mill road early to mid sixties.. During the roar while checking the possum line he carted his rifle around, not so to hunt with but to protect himself from all the idiots that ended up doing their once a year big time hunt, who seemed to shoot at anything that moved. nothing much has changed really by the looks. A good read it is. Fortunately he did not have to use his rifle in anger.
0 x

pengy

Postby pengy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:40 pm

scouser wrote:Yeah guys, be safe and extra vigilant, double check all movement and consider it a human first....

i will be in a 'private block', but will still be weary that poachers could be in there also......

hot barrels guys!!!!

I hear ya Scouse, but it doesn't have to be poachers turning up in your spot.
I used to hunt with a bloke, who despite allotting areas before setting out, would regularly pop up in the area I was hunting due to A; not being able to use a friggin map. B;Deliberately shifting areas due to lack of sign where he was.
He once popped his head up from behind a log 100 meters from where I was walking out of creek carrying hindquarters. He was actually scoping out the slips at the entrance to the creek I had been up, despite him knowing full well where I was. He should have been 2 km away at the time.

Anyway, my point is I guess...don't assume ANYTHING. Stay safe every body
2 x

Return to “The Hunters Magazine”