Road end camps....show them....

Share your pics and vids here for all to enjoy
Scribe
Site Admin

Re: Road end camps....show them....

Postby Scribe » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:47 pm

Sakokid wrote:Good pics scribe....sorry bout your mate.

Yes it wasn't a pleasant death, if there is such a thing. But Paul died in a great place doing what he loved and that was hunting with his friends.
0 x

Sakokid

Postby Sakokid » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:23 pm

Yip spose it's beta than lingering on in some hospice. On a brighter note, thanks for the heads up there scribe, have been to the comet a few times, and as far out as the burns range which is across the river and along. Excellent country, great rivers, plenty of scrub. Pretty thick in places, told there use to be a few wild sheep hanging around,but yet to see any to date. I will post a few pics sometime when we return.
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:45 pm

Sakokid wrote:Yip spose it's beta than lingering on in some hospice. On a brighter note, thanks for the heads up there scribe, have been to the comet a few times, and as far out as the burns range which is across the river and along. Excellent country, great rivers, plenty of scrub. Pretty thick in places, told there use to be a few wild sheep hanging around,but yet to see any to date. I will post a few pics sometime when we return.

Yeah you are right about wild sheep. My brother in law and I when we were doing possums up there ran into a couple in the creek that starts a the hut door and runs down to the Ngaruroro River. We thought they were 'geeps' and talked about these strange creatures until we shot one. They were as agile as goat, had the build of a goat and had sparse red brown wool that looked more like hair. They were horned so I guess they were originally merino stock.

Since the have seen a lot more in the Ngaruroro further down and Keeley and I caught quite a few in the Lower Te Hoe and the Hautapu for different people who wanted them.
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:53 pm

Another very popular road end Camp with the familyImage
0 x

Rushy
Site Admin
Location: Halfway up a hill on the true right of the Kaipara River

Postby Rushy » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:55 pm

Where is that Scribe?
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:58 pm

The meat safe at the same camp.Image
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:03 pm

Rushy wrote:Where is that Scribe?

This hut is known as Smythe's 'Rushy' I first found it in 1971 drifting around as a Government shooter. I have been back many many times.
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:52 pm

This hut and many others were situated right on the back boundaries of the big stations and were used as work bases for stock work, fencing, splitting posts and that sort of stuff. I would arrive after dark as the candlelight shinning through the window would let you know if it was inhabited. If it was I would carry on out of the area and doss down in the tussock somewhere.
Most farmers were a bit tricky about deer especially if they were with a couple of town friends looking for a bit of venison. Mostly you were packed and gone from the hut before daylight and moving steadily toward your own block after lowering the deer population in the general vicinity.

Farmers in the 70s had the good old fashioned attitude then and claimed that it was us 'The Forest Service' that let the deer go and It was also our fault if 100 of them turned up on the crop. Despite this you still would not risk getting caught on any of these properties.
But the NZ farmer if nothing else is very versatile and adaptable gentleman. By 1973 things were a changing though. The price of venison started its long steady climb to dizzy heights. By now the Farmers had got their thoughts organised again and claimed, the deer were eating Station grass, crops so they owned them exclusively.

I am glad I have lived so long and laughed recently with farmers who claim now that the deer population is too high and the Government should be doing something about. Some of the big droughts around the mid North Island ranges in the last few years have meant a scramble between the station stock and the deer for the last turnip leaf.
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:18 pm

I put this photo up to remind us all that spring does eventually arrive after winter.

My old hunting Mate Mac, surrounded by flowers in the Ruahines. We used to have a horse Camp in the Gully behind MAC, We called the Aorangi Camp. We would lead the Horses down into the valley and put up our camp across the track to stop the horses escaping. Which they were adept at doingImage

We had another camp called Ohutu Ridge on top right of photo.
0 x

Rushy
Site Admin
Location: Halfway up a hill on the true right of the Kaipara River

Postby Rushy » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:39 pm

My word Scribe, your old mate looks a dead ringer for my cousin Danny Wills who departed this mortal coil on my birthday fourteen years ago. And a great and timely reminder that spring is around the corner. I have been working in the wind and rain most of the day.

That Character in my photo is the dreaded Mac McWilliams and he is still going.
0 x

Return to “Pictures and Videos”