Live Capture and Others

Share your pics and vids here for all to enjoy
Scribe
Site Admin

Re: Live Capture and Others

Postby Scribe » Tue May 03, 2016 9:11 am

This photo and others were taken by Adrian Liversey. It is a good thing for the Sika trophy population that he mostly just takes their photo
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Tue May 03, 2016 9:31 am

Note the many differences in the two stags shown. When working on live capture and shooting from the machines out of Taupo we became aware that there was a very noticeable difference in sika, both hinds and stags that came from different areas. Now the original group of sika liberated on Merrilees Clearing came from a English deer park and contained blood from two strains of sika, Nippon and Manchurian. It is I think probable that several stags containing the distinctive genes of each type marched away into the wilderness and the herds developed in distinctively different ways.

The top stag we would have described as distinctively Nippon the bottom one Manchurius. The photographers brother when he became a taxidermist had separate moulds for these heads. I think this only became obvious to the pilots and shooters because we covered so much country and saw many different sika in a day. The manager of Wainui Deer farm where we took most of our deer to would ask where they had been caught. He knew his sika too well and he would scoff at our lies when we told him where they came from. The Sika that came out of Fletchers Forests were as different from the Kaimanawa ones that they might have well been another species.
0 x

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Tue May 03, 2016 10:10 am

Nice Photos. 8-)
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Tue May 03, 2016 2:25 pm

Another very nice sika stag filmed by the same man. If you think you have seen it before you probably have. I put it up once before and now the photo's are together.

1 x

MUCKO
Site Admin

Postby MUCKO » Tue May 03, 2016 6:06 pm

Sakokid wrote:Cool pics scribe. Right place right time. That black pig looks in mighty fine condition. Shiny coat and no visible ribs poking out.

they all look tasty mate
0 x

MUCKO
Site Admin

Postby MUCKO » Tue May 03, 2016 6:07 pm

Scribe wrote:Another very nice sika stag filmed by the same man. If you think you have seen it before you probably have. I put it up once before and now the photo's are together.

A very nice animal there @scribe
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:36 am

The hunting is poor at the moment so I am going to put up a series of photo's from yesteryear. Some of you will have seen some of them and others have appeared in my books
Capture Sika Hind.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:14 pm

I’d imagine most of those photos are in a book I haven’t read.... Keep em rolling..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:06 am

A hill to climb and almost a days trek out to the station. He was a patient old horse and the load was not heavy but it was very hot under those skins so we stopped often for a rest. Dear old Nobby made us a lot of money. He was always lonely and would try to squeeze in through the hut door so we had to live with half a horse inside the hut. During the rut he was terrified and used to listen to the roars of horse raping stags and tremble with terror.
Horse and Skins.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:14 pm

...horse raping stag...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x

Return to “Pictures and Videos”