Fishing

How's the fishing in your area?
Scribe
Site Admin

Re: Fishing

Postby Scribe » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:53 am

A nice selection of snapper out of the mussel farms yesterday. Launched out of Waikawau owing to a brisk westerly. It was one of those days in which anyone could have caught fish, even using a bent pin on a piece of string. We never caught anything really big enough to enter for the Workingmans Club Fishing Competition but it was still a great day. a couple of fish entered in the average weight class
So far this week been out two days river fishing for whitebait and two days sea fishing . To much of a good thing will stay home for a few days and nurse my sprained knee that I hurt falling out of my whitebait stand. It was early in the morning and I got such a fright I was out of that river so quick I hardly even got wet. Well part of my hat were still dry??

Our fridges are so full I will light up the smoke house this morning and send the family home with a chilly bin full of fish.

And so into the smokehouse with six of them.
1 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:51 pm

Coupla good looking snaps their 'Scribe'....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x

Gapped Axe

Postby Gapped Axe » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:51 pm

Shot up to the beach on the 10th for 4 days fishing. the fish must all be on your side as there was fuk all over here. How ever we did manage a good feed of Terakihi on Sunday morning. The boys were a bit crook Sunday as they had a real lashing on my whisky, a birthday gift. I have been on antibiotics so could only do the low alcohol. Just had a hernia repaired which was going gangrenous, glad to have that done as I have a bit of a track in front of me to walk.
0 x

Gapped Axe

Postby Gapped Axe » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:54 pm

The son did well over your side yesterday Scribe , at the mussel farms. 63 for 9 anglers, party fishing boat, a 9mtr Senator.
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:58 am

Gapped Axe wrote:The son did well over your side yesterday Scribe , at the mussel farms. 63 for 9 anglers, party fishing boat, a 9mtr Senator.

I have to say that the fishing over this side has been great 'GA' . I was talking to a guy and his wife who have just done a charter and everyone on the boat caught their limit of great fish.

If you remember could you ask your son if it was a good charter. I am getting a few guests now who want to fish. We need to get to know the charter operators 'you know 'GA' its not so much how many fish they catch but are they personable and friendly and can show newbys how to catch a fish'

I was getting keen on hooking up with an operator who call themselves 'Fish and Tits'. Though disappointingly it appears that they are a girl crew and the cater for woman fishers.

Just leaving for the river and will camp there for the night. The whitebait season will be all over at the end of the month so I plan on making the most of it in the next week.
1 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:57 pm

I have just been admiring a couple of fish before I fillet them for our tea. These are the last of seven I brought home from our trip out for the Thames Workingmans Club competition.

I have to say though the fish I caught were not big I don't think I have caught better condition fish. Even these two which are the smallest are in great condition and are nearly as wide as they are long. There body cavities are full of fat and the knife will not slide through under the skin so easy as the fat grips the knife and you can see it thick and white on the blade.

You know you are getting the best nutrition out of a fresh fish in this condition.

Maori have a saying, "There is a season for everything. Only take food when it is fat, for it is only then that will there be sufficient reward for the energy expended"

0 x

Gapped Axe

Postby Gapped Axe » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:05 pm

Got a feed of snaps off the longline set off Ohiwa and a couple of Flatties in the net.
0 x

Rushy
Site Admin
Location: Halfway up a hill on the true right of the Kaipara River

Postby Rushy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:55 pm

You'd have to be happy with that.
0 x

hunter308

Postby hunter308 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:40 pm

Looks like I might have to bring my boat out your way for a fish sometime Scribe, Just bought my first boat 4 weeks ago
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:33 pm

hunter308 wrote:Looks like I might have to bring my boat out your way for a fish sometime Scribe, Just bought my first boat 4 weeks ago

Gidday '308' how are you. I have been away for a week, so havnt caught a fish for awhile but they say it has slowed down since all the fresh water hit the Firth.

You don't have to come all the way up to Coromandel Town for a fish. Waikawau and Kerata are the two ramps we use the most and where the majority of our fish come from.
0 x

Return to “General Fishing”