This Is Spot X This Morning

Gapped Axe

Re: This Is Spot X This Morning

Postby Gapped Axe » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:08 am

when I used to fish there, I would go past Gannet and fish under the bird work ups. Good size snaps, funny doesn't seem to work on the other side thou
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:14 pm

Packhorse wrote:Today's spot x......
Had a good work day fishing. Caught 4 kahawai and five gurnad (chucked one back to Tangaroa). Stopped in one place n all we caught was gurnad. Hooked some cudas as well. I was on track to land a snapper when in my haste and eagerness to get it into the boat and get a photo I got too carried away n tried to land it without a net.....:-( a lesson learnt the hard way as it was a good size snap.. Still a good day no burley making and able for the first time to eat something on a boat. In saying that in the words of one boatie we talked to 'it was a bit sloppy eh' fuck was it what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know this view we passed this area in the Yacht in the dark. GA mentions Gannet Island so I presume that this then is Porongia Mountain 'Packhorse'.
You have become quite the little sailor and fisherman in the last few months.
0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:43 pm

Scribe wrote:[quote="Packhorse"]Today's spot x......
[img]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160129/8fd96fd8f553dc3e6f49f4b0afb303f8.jpg[/img]
Had a good work day fishing. Caught 4 kahawai and five gurnad (chucked one back to Tangaroa). Stopped in one place n all we caught was gurnad. Hooked some cudas as well. I was on track to land a snapper when in my haste and eagerness to get it into the boat and get a photo I got too carried away n tried to land it without a net.....:-( a lesson learnt the hard way as it was a good size snap.. Still a good day no burley making and able for the first time to eat something on a boat. In saying that in the words of one boatie we talked to 'it was a bit sloppy eh' fuck was it what.
[img]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160129/722472a2ee592e252c47c37d643a901e.jpg[/img]

I don't know this view we passed this area in the Yacht in the dark. GA mentions Gannet Island so I presume that this then is Porongia Mountain 'Packhorse'.
You have become quite the little sailor and fisherman in the last few months.[/quote]
Mount Karioi next to Raglan 'Scribe'. Just broke my boat fishing hoodoo by not chucking up and catching fish other than kahawai. Still gotta pop the cherry on the snapper though.

0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:03 pm

This was the spot for us this morning.

Tucked up next to a working mussel barge. See the water next to the mussel shute, it is a rich mussel chowder. Needless to say it didn't take long to catch the 7 snapper we were allowed each. There were an abundance of kahawai and kingfish darting in and out of the chowder as well.
0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:51 pm

Big snaps 'Scribe' or just pannies ?

0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:25 pm

Packhorse wrote:Big snaps 'Scribe' or just pannies ?

There were quite a lot of big snapper caught around us mostly by the soft bait crews drifting through the chowder.

To much like work standing up casting those things and backing the boat and drifting through the slick. We tie up to the mussel bouys and lean back and relax on our soft seats. We use pillies and use 2 hook ledger rigs. Anything much bigger than 40 has a fair chance of going back if its got any age. To be truthful if the fishing was any easier than it is up here it would hardly be worth going.
0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:31 pm

Scribe wrote:[quote="Packhorse"]Big snaps 'Scribe' or just pannies ?

There were quite a lot of big snapper caught around us mostly by the soft bait crews drifting through the chowder.

To much like work standing up casting those things and backing the boat and drifting through the slick. We tie up to the mussel bouys and lean back and relax on our soft seats. We use pillies and use 2 hook ledger rigs. Anything much bigger than 40 has a fair chance of going back if its got any age. To be truthful if the fishing was any easier than it is up here it would hardly be worth going.[/quote]
A bit like shooting a deer in a deer farm....?

0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:04 am

The bosses went out on Saturday out of Raglan on limited out on snaps a gurnad and two trevally .... I wasn't there..had cub camp...

0 x

Return to “Spot X stories”