Fogged Redfield

Scribe
Site Admin

Fogged Redfield

Postby Scribe » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:56 am

Just dug my old scope out of the cupboard and found it has fogged. Its a Redfield 2x9 vari power.

I see Redfield don't honour Warrantees on scope purchased before 2010. If it had have been any of my Leupolds I would have sent them back to the factory. They have a really amazing lifetime warrantee that is honoured.

Does anyone know of a reputable scope repairer here in NZ?.
0 x

Rushy
Site Admin
Location: Halfway up a hill on the true right of the Kaipara River

Re: Fogged Redfield

Postby Rushy » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:14 pm

What a bugger Scribe. Don't know of anyone that might repair but have you tried placing it in an ultra dry environment for an extended period? Hot water cupboard for a month etc?
0 x

Happy
Site Admin

Postby Happy » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:38 pm

Ring Richard at Wilhelm Arms and Optics in Christchurch. 03 338 7880
10. am to 6.30.

He may well say its past its use by date but give it a whirl.
Or he would know who to try in North Island Country ...
Pretty much semi retired now but very nice guy...

http://www.wilhelm.co.nz/
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:06 am

Happy wrote:Ring Richard at Wilhelm Arms and Optics in Christchurch. 03 338 7880
10. am to 6.30.

He may well say its past its use by date but give it a whirl.
Or he would know who to try in North Island Country ...
Pretty much semi retired now but very nice guy...

http://www.wilhelm.co.nz/

Thanks 'Happy' I will give him a ring. This redfield has quite a scar on the back lens so I may buy a new
Leupold to replace it. Having scopes repaired and re-gassed is notoriously expensive I have found over the years and I have had them fail again.
0 x

Gibo

Postby Gibo » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:39 am

Id just replace it. New Leupold all day
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:36 am

Rushy wrote:What a bugger Scribe. Don't know of anyone that might repair but have you tried placing it in an ultra dry environment for an extended period? Hot water cupboard for a month etc?

I have tried many times without success to repair fogged scopes 'Rushy'. Experience and a lot of heartache has taught me that when moisture has found its way into a scope once it always comes back. Leave a warm hut and step out into a cold frosty morning and you will in the first few minutes you come across the sika stag you have been after for years. You throw the sako trebly to your shoulder ready to drill him and lo and behold you are looking into a fish pond complete with a couple of tadpoles circling the cross hair. Believe it or not but I have shot a couple of deer by squinting along the side of the barrel, though I don't recommend it for accuracy beyond 20m.
Those same scopes and some good brands too I have baked in the camp oven and treated the joints with orange hut paint
and walked out of the warm hut and had the tadpoles return within minutes.

I have an early Redfield scope that I have had for forty odd years that has always been my main scope but the lenses are stuffed from the constant wiping with toilet paper but it has never had a bad day. And what about that trip of a lifetime when you fly into Fiordland and the first Wap that stands their begging to be shot you cant see because your scope has fogged. I have flown people out of the Kaweka/Kaimanawas and seen the effect that a fogged scope has had on them too.

I brought a brand new Pecar at the start of the season that cost a weeks wages that I sweated over for a month because it fogged. It cost me many deer that scope but one morning up on Rongatea on the Mokai Range during a brief few minutes before the scope fogged I shot 3 or four maybe 5 velvet stags I cant remember now, in a mob and whipped the antlers off them and headed for base. The velvet paid for a new scope but it still lost most of a day to walk out, the same to drive to Palmerston and most of a day to get back to Bruce Hut again. When you are paid for tails untrustworthy scopes can make a large hole in a months wages.
0 x

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:27 pm

The best scope for hunting in shit weather is the bushnell elite every thing else fogs and is a bastard. that rain gaurd is worth its weight in gold. :o
0 x

pengy

Postby pengy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:01 pm

Raingaurd wont help if the seals are stuffed and moisture gets inside, which is what causes the fogging.
Moving from warmer air to colder air seems to trigger the fogging in scopes, binos and cameras alike.
1 x

Happy
Site Admin

Postby Happy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:21 pm

pengy wrote:Raingaurd wont help if the seals are stuffed and moisture gets inside, which is what causes the fogging.
Moving from warmer air to colder air seems to trigger the fogging in scopes, binos and cameras alike.

Hey Pengu. Hi there from me and Hootie.
0 x

Woody

Postby Woody » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:22 pm

I always used to carry a bottle of woman's clear nail polish with my kit. Warm the fogged scope in oven or near fire (without overheating it) and apply the nail polish around the periphery of the lenses immediately (and before the scope cools)
usually this repair will last several months.

I never had an undamaged Bushnell or Leupold fog on me. They only fogged if I somehow severely dented the rim of a lens.
0 x

Return to “Scopes, Binos,Cameras,Range Finders and others”