SPCA Does Not Condone The Use Of The Cruel Poison 1080.

This forum is an area to discuss 1080 and other pest control methods including public notices pesticide summaries animal health board issues etc .Please contribute in a civilized manner
Scribe
Site Admin

SPCA Does Not Condone The Use Of The Cruel Poison 1080.

Postby Scribe » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:59 am

0 x

Packhorse

Re: SPCA Does Not Condone The Use Of The Cruel Poison 1080.

Postby Packhorse » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:03 pm

Cynical ol me does wonder though why they’ve seemly changed tact...??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:23 am

Packhorse wrote:Cynical ol me does wonder though why they’ve seemly changed tact...??

We have had numerous documents over the years stating the SPCA position on 1080. They have always spoken out against the impossibility of excluding deer and other species from becoming a by-kill of aerial 1080 and the cruelty of such deaths. The standard sowing regime makes killing of deer, pigs etc illegal with 1080 because dose and pellet size deliver sub lethal poisonings. Our government gives SPCA the right to collect charity money which they operate on. This is the first time they have come out and taken the GOVT and its minions head on so I guess they figure their is sufficient support for them out in the big wide world. Great for us though and let the battle lines be drawn now. Every one is donating the figure of $10.80 to the SPCA so they know they are supported.
0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:54 am

Scribe wrote:
Packhorse wrote:Cynical ol me does wonder though why they’ve seemly changed tact...??

We have had numerous documents over the years stating the SPCA position on 1080. They have always spoken out against the impossibility of excluding deer and other species from becoming a by-kill of aerial 1080 and the cruelty of such deaths. The standard sowing regime makes killing of deer, pigs etc illegal with 1080 because dose and pellet size deliver sub lethal poisonings. Our government gives SPCA the right to collect charity money which they operate on. This is the first time they have come out and taken the GOVT and its minions head on so I guess they figure their is sufficient support for them out in the big wide world. Great for us though and let the battle lines be drawn now. Every one is donating the figure of $10.80 to the SPCA so they know they are supported.

Uh huh....not to know these things. Being against 1080 for a while now. Never could figure out the SPCAs stance on it..or anybodies really though I get while some people/organisations support it...$$$$

0 x

Frogfeatures

Postby Frogfeatures » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:12 pm

DOC don’t have a plan B, all their eggs are in the aerial poison basket.
I think it’s fair to say that pest control, in some areas, is only possible by aerial poisoning, however 1080 is a poor choice. A bit like shooting a wasp with a shotgun. Targeted control it ain’t.
The SPCA have been anti 1080 for a while, but seem to be prepared to be more vocal lately. Good on them.
0 x

tetawa

Postby tetawa » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:05 pm

The SPCA role out there has changed, at one time the branches were separate and had many volunteers on the ground. Now they are under one umbrella and many branches didn't join as all their assets were lost to the governing body, many assets had been obtained thru local communities. From what I know the "hands on" volunteers and inspectors in many rural areas is gone. As the SPCA is under MPI I'm surprised and gladdened they have at last taken this stance.
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Scribe » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:28 pm

Very thoughtful comments here 'Tetawa'. I will have to go away and think about what you have said.

Some comments I heard today bare some thinking about. We were told that Fish and Game are decidedly pro 1080 now. So who has got hold of them and is now pulling their strings? Any good ideas out there before I refuse to buy trout and hunting licences.
0 x

Return to “Pest control and public messages”