Another one...

Packhorse

Another one...

Postby Packhorse » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:15 pm

Took the opportunity to go out and pick up a few rings of wood that I had previously cut. Since it was right next to spot ‘x’ I had the rifle with so went for a wee gander...

Spotted a mob sunning themselves out of the wind including a buck. The wind was in my favour but had to sneaky pete hands and knees stuff in certain places to get a bit closer. Scoped the buck out, it certainly had a better set of headgear than I’ve got currently but assessed it as being 3-5 years old so had potential yet... plus a old deer between itself and me precluded me taking the shot...

Abandoned that particular quest to focus on another couple of yearlings that were a bit handier to get to... I had run out of cover but still needed to get a bit closer. Waited till the cloud covered the sun then put hood up, hunched up and slowly crossed the open ground...the two deer in question didn’t seem too perturbed... Long story short I didn’t shoot either of those two as I had spotted another one(happened to be one of three)

Did the sneak up and lined up on the chosen animal. Bang...not flop...shit.. that sounded like a hit...? I’d better go again. Bang...shit still no flop...sorta. I’d better get down there...The slope is covered with blackberry and rubbish so took the wimp way back through the clear path and down through the swamp and back onto the ledge where the deer was...it crashed away through and further into the blackberry/gorsey crap...so I made like a bull, hunched down and bashed/threaded/weaved my way through. Luckily I managed to spot it in the crap with the dying light. Got to it, it was still alive so gave it the mercy stroke to the throat.

Dragged it back out through the crap, took another photo, whipped it guts out and head off and got ready to carry it out.
Took me about five seconds to realise I’m so unfit and this was just a fallow yearling...onwards and upwards...

On getting it back to the shed I skinned it to find out where it had being shot....on a high angle through the back leg...WTF this would be the worst shot placement I’ve ever taken on a deer. Off to put a few rounds through it shortly to see what’s going on...operator or equipment...? Guess we’ll find out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x

Scribe
Site Admin

Re: Another one...

Postby Scribe » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:08 pm

You would be well off for gamemeat at the moment by the look of it. It happens but sometimes you can believe how you stuffed up a shot. Sometimes it is an unseen twig your bullet hits. Even when you have done it for years you might snatch the trigger or do something silly. First put a sighter through her then work backwards.
0 x

Packhorse

Postby Packhorse » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:20 pm

Whacked a few rounds through yesterday...

..top left is 25m. Shows a definite bias to the right. With that and reasonably steep downhill shot might help explain a bit...

0 x

Sometimes

Postby Sometimes » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:35 pm

It will be good eating

0 x

Return to “Deer Hunting”