First fly in Roar.....report

Short stories and more
scouser

First fly in Roar.....report

Postby scouser » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:24 pm

hi guys, photos would not work....heres the report though!

Hi guys, what a trip, no animals shot, but theres at least one lucky bugger we left behind……..

Flew in on a misty/claggy day, bit of a hairy one when you fly into the mist and cant see the top of the hill….FAAAARK

After setting up camp (threw bags on the stretchers and put beers under the ice!!!!) we did a quick recce above camp…nothing, not even a whistle

First full day, we were both hunting the same spur, I stopped for a breather, and all was perfectly still looking up the incline,

I then noticed a slight movement to my right, as there was no wind….all I could see moving was what looked like a ‘branch with a knot hole below it’…

Looked a bit closer and then appeared an 8-point Sika, im assuming 8 as he had a forked 2 point top (is that correct?)

before I could even lift my rifle, he had done a 180, flicked his white tail and was gone, we then got a good 60/80 seconds of alarm calls from him
but no shot presented itself….FAAAARK

we heard whistles every day, but they where not Roaring as such, we went hunting solo after this to double our chances…

my hunting buddy heard a Red going off big time just above a creek, the creeks where the only mode of transport to get from A to B,
but they were festooned with Ongaonga, and we both picked up stings even using secateurs……

so we set off to get this Red, one of the reasons we picked this location, was the chance of both Sika & Red (80/20%)…

we went up the spur that my buddy had heard him Roaring the previous day, of course he had now crossed the creek and was heard on the other side

quick 40 mins bush bash, and we were located just about above him and he was Roaring strong, (he responded to a Sika AJ caller!!!!) we dropped our packs and went in,

me first, my mate covering in case he went up hill….all I heard was the crashing of bushes and thunder of hooves and he was gone, he must have either seen or winded us…FAAAARK

that was our Roar experience in a nutshell, close but no cigar……oh well, there’s always next time….and there will be a next time……
2 x

Packhorse

Re: First fly in Roar.....report

Postby Packhorse » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:37 pm

At least you had a go....cool story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x

Carpe Diem

Postby Carpe Diem » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:55 pm

Very Nice Scouser and I'm exceedingly Jelly (and would have been more if you bagged that Jap) - but well done fella !!!

Used up all your brownie points yet??? Duck shooting next month so I'm sure you've squirreled a few away for that with the family.. and I know where there are some nice fat Turkeys too... If you have any leave left we should organise a late season hurrah now the numpties have all got the roar out of their blood and go bag some Veni - or at least have a bit of a forum piss up on tour. I dare say the back end of the season will get busy with all those heading to the Toby memorial.

Maybe something late May early June - To catch the end of the Fallow rut or something...

Cheers mate
0 x

Neckshot

Postby Neckshot » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:13 pm

My first Japan fly in trip was just like that. Whistles and more witless. Next time mate........

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
0 x

Rushy
Site Admin
Location: Halfway up a hill on the true right of the Kaipara River

Postby Rushy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:29 pm

Did I hear forum pissup tour? Keeeeeeeeeeen
0 x

Neckshot

Postby Neckshot » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:48 pm

Must be time for another Woolshed pretend to Hunt at Duncan's trip

0 x

Neckshot

Re: RE: Re: First fly in Roar.....report

Postby Neckshot » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:42 am

Brads wrote:[quote="Neckshot"]Must be time for another Woolshed pretend to Hunt at Duncan's trip

Yeah phill wants a paddock deer so watch this place[/quote]
You mean space! ..... I want to see old bung eye shoot an animal with my own eye's. ...... can you make this happen, I'd pay to watch :lol:

0 x

Neckshot

Postby Neckshot » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:07 pm

I want to see it again lol

0 x

Happy
Site Admin

Postby Happy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:54 pm

Tataraakina here we come on Sunday. They reckon they'll be going off by then. X fingers. :D

Good work Scouser. It won't happen on the couch unless you have a French au pair perhaps.
And of course @neckshot legendary baby oil

:P This fat boy will have some walkin to do

Stumpy said Dad I m ready I swear tonite.
image.jpeg

That's the top one lol. I think he's forgiven me for cutting him up. :lol:
Short and really fast ha ha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Rushy
Site Admin
Location: Halfway up a hill on the true right of the Kaipara River

Postby Rushy » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:53 am

Good skills for the trip Happy.
0 x

Return to “The Hunters Magazine”